Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Electric Tailgate with Barn Doors...

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jul 14, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

My cousin has an 87 Suburban that has the electric tailgate on it. He is wanting to swap it out for a set of barn doors. I am sure some of you have done this. What does it take to do (besides getting a set of barn doors /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) and how difficult? Any help is appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sorry to bust his bubble, but for an 87, its CAN'T be done.

82 or 83 is when they stopped making burbs with the barn door swap capability. Open the tailgate, look above the tailgate straps on the pillar and see if there is a slot for the barn door hinge to go into...if its not there, then your out of luck. If you need pics of what i'm trying to explain, lemme know and I'll get you some /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'll vouch for muddytazz.... my '84 will not accept barn doors either. The steel reinforcements aren't built into the rear pillars and there's no extra holes.

I remember somebody on this board saying the reason they used to be "dual patterned" was to do with the dealers being able to swap on barn doors for ambulance conversions. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I remember somebody on this board saying the reason they used to be "dual patterned" was to do with the dealers being able to swap on barn doors for ambulance conversions.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, that was me /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. tom1987

tom1987 Registered Member

It can be done if you cut the slots in to the pillar and make the mounting bracket for the door hinges if you look at the pillar there is little indents for ware to mount the hinges I will get I pic but I can't post it so I will have to send you it. It will take a lot of work but it can be done. I will be doing this to my 1987 suburban soon

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Take the pictures and PM me. I'll give you a e-mail to send them too. The E-mail in my profile has pretty limited space. I HATE MY TAIL GATE ON MY 88! I cound not find a barn door 454 burb in decent shape when I was ready to buy. I will be pulling a travel trailer and with the trailer hooked up I can't get in the back. REAL pain in the butt when I need to stock a cooler for the road.

8. tom1987

tom1987 Registered Member

I will take I pic tomorrow because it rained yesterday and I was welding new crossmenbers into me suburban to day and forgot to take one.