Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Fan ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jackson 88K5, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

Should I go with the Flex fan for my stock 350 or use the factory clutch fan?

If it breaks, upgade it.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Use the factory clutch fan. It will cool the engine better and create less drag on the engine when the clutch releases.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, like Harry said, the flexfan is a real power thief. If your truck is stock, and you don't do too much towing, your clutch is probably hardly ever enngaged anyways. The only time my clutch kicks in is when I'm towing in the mountains in hot weather- other than that, I never hear it.

4. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Got a bunch of stiches in my hand years ago from one of those "flex" fans. Never cared for them. Replace it with what you had.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

fu#*it just go with an electric lol

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'd go with an electric fan, too. They will not drink your engine's power as much. I've got electric fans in 2 of my cars(FWD - arrrggghhh) and I'm about to install electric fans in my Blazer and Firebird, once I get the money.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

7. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

Might hvae to check into that&gt;[​IMG].

If it breaks, upgade it.

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

There's a couple reasons I haven't upgraded to an electric fan.

First is the air flow. An electric fan can't pull as much air as an mechanical fan. This is critical if you're running a big block like I am. Even with a pusher and puller fans, I've heard the mechanical fans will still out-perform the electrics.

Second is the current draw. Yes, the electric fan might help a little on hp but what about when you're winching? At a dead stop, both winch and electric fan will be drawing from the battery/alternator which isn't a good thing.

Third is cost. With a multiple electric fan setup, plus the thermal switch, that seems to add up to some cash which could be spent better on something else.

I'm actually thinking about one of those new plastic fans that replace your steel fan. Suppose to be less weight and better for your water pump but I'm not sure if they can cool as much as a steel/alum fan.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

shawn they might not flow as much air as a steel or aluminum fan but you can turn it off and on with the flip of a switch makes it very nice 4 water crossings and you could turn it off while using your winch. no need 4 the thermal switch just use a toggle switch. there are prose and cons to both just personal preference

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I realize you can use a toggle for the electric fan but it's another thing you would have to worry about when winching. Knowing myself, I'd forget to turn the fans back on just like my electric fuel pump since it's on a switch. Talk about embarrassing times when you pull out a parking lot and the thing dies on you from no fuel![​IMG] Like you said though, there's pro's and cons to both.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]