Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing feul line?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Nov 30, 2000.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

My 87 TBI jimmy main feul line has sprung a leak. do i need to replace this with a metal line due to the pressures from the injection or can i use some rubber line to make a fix. were talking a 6 inch piece of line here. any one have this problem before, any advise of hints?

thanks
    craig

[​IMG]

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I would think you should use the same style of tubing that is there right now.......By main fuel line, do you mean the line from the tank to the motor?

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Yep the main fuel line from the tank to the engine. it started leaking near the fuel filter. i was able to get to the parts store and talked with a pretty knowledgable guy who recommended using fuel injection rubber line, higher pressure rating, it worked fine. my leak has stopped. i did find a compression style fitting on my line from the previous owner. a word of advise do not use compression fittings on a fuel line, this is where the leak occured.

[​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

TBI runs at 7-13 PSI, so rubber would hold in an emergency. But it's best to replace the line with steel again, just to be sure it doesn't leak. Raw gasoline spraying on a hot engine is not a good idea!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. Can Can

Compression fittings are safe as long as they are installed correctly and with an insert that won't break down when exposed to gas......

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Compression fittings are a pain in the !@#!!. I used them once to fix a fuel line. Kept leaking. Use flair fittings if you can. but you will need a flair tool that fits 3/8th.

I dont think the pressure is high enough to burst anything especially TBI, so yeah, go with high pressure 3/8th hose, and you should be fine. Just be sure to make a clean cut (use a tube cutter if you can) otherwise, you may end up constricting the gas flow.

7. Can Can

What kind of fittings were you using, Pookster? The 1/4" and 3/8" fittings we use on our tubing setups at work are rated for 300psi, liquid or gas. They actually work on unflared pipe because the insert crimps and flares the tubing as the compression action takes place.