Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Floorboards and support (whew)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RustyParts, Nov 12, 2005.

1. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Man O man what a job, I had to set the cab back on the frame, then the bed, the bed side and hang the door to make sure all the items lined up.

Then I started piecing in the floor sections, I decided to cut the replacement panel into smaller sections because they were easier to work with.

I got some of the panels tacked today, but I got tired, gotta rest up for beer drinking tomorrow with my buds. May not be thinking clear Monday. :D

DCP_3268.jpg

DCP_3271.jpg

DCP_3272.jpg

DCP_3274.jpg

DCP_3275.jpg

2. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

Looks just like my floors when I was replacing them. I'm glad my floors are done now. I didn't think I would ever get past it. It looks great!!! Is that an LMC door that you have hung?

3. RustyParts

No, that's the original door and of course the bottoms are rotted out too. I'm afraid the rest of the truck will rust before I get finished.

4. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Rusty Floorboards

Dude, thanks for pics, it will really help me with referances when I get there. Nice work, and I'll look forward to seeing your progess. :bow: Later J. P.S. Are you the guy with that factory half roof?

5. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

I have LMC doors. When I was working to get them lined up with the quarter the door skin came loose, no sh@t! :mad: When I got to looking to see what happened LMC didn't have any tack welds on it. All they did was bend it over the door jam. I had to spot weld the other door too. Just beware if you do purchase new ones.

6. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

doors

I got mine from Goodmark and I'm beginning to see the extra money is worth the quality you get as I said before my only problem was with shipping!!! I'm convinced that repro stuff that comes from overseas is junk. What do they know about a 1st gen. jimy. I've been restoring cars for 35 years and I'm convinced if you use OEM parts or equal anybody can restore something. It's when you have problems that you have to go to a pro. to fix it!!! later J.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Pictures of repairs like this used to scare the bejeezus out of me.....but now I find them fascinating!

Nice work, and thanks for putting some tough love into your 1st Gen. I'm sure the finished product will be beautiful. :thumb:

8. RustyParts

Yeah I"ve got a half cab but's it's not a factory one I bought it about 15 yrs. ago from "Glasstite", but I don't think they make them anymore. I saw a thread in the garage group where another company was making them now.

I've got one piece of metal that goes under the front of the bedside that lets the two bolt together that is completly rusted away and I'll really have to use my imagination to reproduce it.

Thanks

9. RustyParts

Yeah me too. I learned a long time ago to not fasten anything down till it all fits. Wished I'd paid more attention in geometry class. reproducing some the angles can be taxing at times. :D

10. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Rusty Bed Floors

Yeah, I think I know which ones you're talking about. I cut mine off because I couldn't find acess to them! But the differance is, I didn't seperate my bedside from my truck so you went one step further. You finished alot in one day!!! Later J.