Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing front coils?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bryguy00b, Nov 7, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how hard is it? i have to do it one my s-10..the driver side spring is broke..one of the coils on the bottom are broke and you can see it..thats why it leans a little to the side..

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I've heard that you can do it without disconnecting the lower ball-joint but I have never done it that way. To do it this way you would have to remove the inner piviot bolts for the lower control arms and lower it with a floor jack. The way I have done it is to undo the lower ball-joint and drop that end with a floor jack...but you will mess up the dust boot with a pickle fork and most will not come off any other way. That means you will also need a new ball-joint.

Either way you will most likely need a INTERNAL spring compressor which you can rent for free (just a deposit that you get back) from AutoZone and maybe some other parts stores.

I would not recomend just doing one. It isn't that hard of a job but some of the stuff can be tough to go back together.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx ill keep this in mind..i might just let it go for the winter...really cold out now to do to much..i just gatat get the brakes done and get a new windshield in it..then put it on the road..