Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Front Grille

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinsc, Apr 12, 2006.

1. blazinsc

blazinsc Newbie

I have an 88 K5 and am swapping with a new factory grille. The one on there right now was broken by the old owner. I have the replacement but it needs the trim fromt he factory grille. The center trim l/r and the emblem. Holding these pieces on are some type of screw and nut but they are old and rusted from time so I had to cut them off. I then realized when i got to them there are little lates with these screws that slide right onto the trim that needs to go on the new bumper. Well, what I need to know is does anyone know where to get these little metal pieces? I looked in LMC and they basically have everything but what I need. I will put pics in later. Kinda late. Thanks for any help.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think I know what you are trying to describe, although I've never had an '88 grill apart.

On the underside of the grille trim pieces (earlier too) there are small thin steel pieces with a stud sticking out of them that slide into the trim piece. These studs fit through cutouts in the core support and use those paper thin stamped steel nuts to snug it up to the core support.

No idea on a source, except maybe try GM, sorry! It sounds like something they might actually still have in stock.

3. blazinsc

blazinsc Newbie

that is exactly what I am talking about. Thanks for the info. I will try GM but I have no idea where to look. I have been all over the place (internet) trying to find them.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just call or drive to your local dealer and have them look it up, if they will spend the time. I would if I had my parts manual with me. :(

probably not worth buying from them unless they are dirt cheap, as teh dealer is usually double what you can get parts from gmpartsdirect.com.

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

dealer or junk yard

Gm was good about chanigng grille stuff every couple years from 81 on up

of course they did the same 73-80 too

even though it all looks the same its not

its a pain

dealer or junkyard or someone on here parting an 88-91

cant be that hard to find, none of this is rare or uncommon

good luck