Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing front inner seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigdaddy89, Mar 21, 2001.

1. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I have to replace the front inner seal on my 10 bolt front end. Does anybody know of any tricks to get this in? I saw a mechanic use a homemade tool once before that looked like a huge socket with a arm welded on it so he could pound it in with a hammer. I don't have on of these and don't know of any special tools. Give me some idea's here guys, I want to go break something this weekend, so I need to fix it tomorrow.

GOT ROCKS?

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

yank on it with some pump pliers you can also use them to grab and pry

Doug Krebs

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: replacing front inner seal *DELETED*

Post deleted by BadDog

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think he means break stuff on his truck [​IMG] I used a BIG socket and a BFH to pound it in. It took a couple of tries to get it in straight so take your time

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I apologize...I can tell Grim was singling me out, as well he should. I didn't clearly understand what "front inner seal" was...so I've edited this and taken out the info on how to replace the pinion seal : )<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by dyeager535 on 03/22/01 04:39 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. You could always drive over it

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well other than the hub wrench no special tools needed to replace the INNER AXLE SEALS. and you don't need to remove the yoke. You however do need to pull both axle shafts. When I replaced mine I used a big socket and turned my framing hammer sideways and tapped it in. A bud has about 30ft of extensions and he just hooks them all together and taps it through the tubes when he puts them in.
    Might do a search. This topic comes up often and there have been several detailed posts in the past.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

8. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the ideas.

GOT ROCKS?