Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing front lugs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

How do I go about doing this? I need to replace all 6 on the front left.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have to pound the studs out of the hub. Never done it on the front though.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

You have to remove the hub/rotor assembly and press or pound them out with sledgehammer. Since you are replacing the studs, you don't need to worry about damaging the threads. However, if you do have to remove a reusable stud, run a lug nut down on the stud until it almost protrudes (so that you'll be hammering on the lug nut and not the stud). You put the new ones in much the same way you took the old ones out, by pounding them in. Lube the new studs and hub assembly well with regular motor oil to minimize galling and to ease installation. I strongly recommend that you DO NOT use a regular lug nut to “draw” the stud up in despite those who say they've done it successfully. They do make kits that draw the stud in the the hub like the lug nut technique, but I've never used one so I can't vouch for how well it works. I pound mine in with a hammer and a drift. MAKE SURE the stud is fully seated. You can tell it’s fully seated by the change in sound and feel of the hammer contacting the drift (its hard to describe but you'll know when you get there).

Happy hammering!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I strongly recommend that you DO NOT use a regular lug nut to “draw” the stud up in despite those who say they've done it successfully.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The GM service manual for my 89 says to use a lug nut to draw the stud in. I'm not saying they're right or that's what I'd do, but just thought it was interesting that they say that. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, that is interesting. All I know is that everyone who sounds like they know something about speaks very strongly against doing it that way. A press is the best, but not always accessible.

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i just did this and i dread having to do it again

taking that hub apart SUCKED!

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I've had reasonable success doing it that way just have to be careful and not overtighten it and don't forget to use a couple of flat washers, but if time allows you should disassemble the hub and pound it in with a sledge and drift. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> taking ur hub apart sucked? wow, mine was easy as hell. lol. o well. maybe urs was really stuck in there. i don't mean to hijack this thread, but i need to know how ur rotor sounded after u were finished. cus mine makes a slight click when i hit a bump which makes me think its not seated all the way. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif </font>

9. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I used a ball peen hammer, with the ball end placed on the end of the stud, and then whacked that mofo with a BFH, took only 2-3 whacks per stud. Then flip the hub/rotor over, and do the same thing to pound the new ones in. My old ones are in good shape still and could be reused in a pinch.