Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing fuel pump...anything else down there?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 2, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My fuel pump has been going out for a few weeks, and it finally gave out today. I already have an appt with a shop thats putting a new one in on Wednesday because I don't have time to. Do I need to replace the sending unit or anything else while I get this done, or does the sending unit come with the pump? I talked to a guy today who has a K5 and he had to get a new one and the pump was included with something else and it was about $450. I don't know if that included labor, but I've been told about $250 to $300 to get it changed, which is the best price I couuld find, but still pretty steep. So does anyone know if I have to do anything else? TIA

90K5

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

There is a screen that goes on the end of the pump, any good mechanic will replace it, but I would ask him to make sure. If it gets clogged no gas will get through

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Will come either way. Can buy the pump seperate.

4. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

90K5, how do you know its your pump?

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Low fuel pressure, stalling like running out of gas

90K5

6. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

I would suggest to drop it off expecting to pay for the pump and sending unit. I made the mistake of taking to a dealership who is open at night and needed it done by morning time and I was on a budget. Well around ten oclock I got a call that they needed to repace the sending unit also. I thought I was getting scammed and told them to put it back together and I would do it myself. I took every precaution to avoid having to replace the sending unit, but it didn't work out in my favor. Come to find out, after having to pick up a sending unit, that it is very common, due to corrosion, that the sending unit and fuel pump are replaced at the same time. The price you were quoted sounds right. Good luck.

Mich89k5