Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing fuses

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Mar 7, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so do i just look for a fuse on the fuse box labled turn signals or what? i want to replce the one for my signals cuase they arent working...and thats the first thing that comes to my mind..(and hopefully thats all it is)..also..my radio wont power on either...so could that be a fuse to? the guy said they worked befor it sat. and what kind of fuse do i put in it?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, just look for the blown fuse in the fuse block - they're also labeled so find one that sounds like what you're having a problem with and pull it and check it. I don't know what you have (blade or tube style) but just replace it with whatever amperage fuse you pull out. Simple as that. I doubt the turn signals and radio are on the same fuse, but it's possible.
    Wait - on second thought - there's a turn signal flasher bulb on your fuse block. It's a big silver cylinder - replace that and you should be good to go.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool ill check it out..thanx!

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Check the flasher also. It's the little round can mounted to your fuzebox.

I'm not sure about your truck but many of the older trucks have 2 flashers... one for the turn signals and 1 for the hazzards. They are interchangable.

You can get replacments for about $2.00ea but if you want the HD ones (for towing) or the ones that make that clicking sound you have to fork out around $6.00.

I recently replaced mine when I was trying to figure out why I kept blowing the fuze. $4.00 later it was fixed! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well my hazerds work..so i guess its got to be the other one..ill take a look tomorrow when i get some light out here..suppost to be warmer to..(around 40 or so...haha) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

heres alittle tip, those small little iso fuses are the work the same as the mid size ones in our fuse boxes, im useing 2 right now, i have a bunch laying around, so i just pop them in if i blow a fuse while wireing somthing, it works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how do you tell if its bad or not?

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You can see a little strip of metal in the fuse. When it's all connected, the fuse allows for the transport of electricity. When it's "blown" a little piece of that metal in the fuse is melted away - thus creating no complete circuit for the electricity to travel through.
    Simply put: if the little metal thingy inside the fuse is in two pieces, you need a new fuse. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Another easy way to check fuses without even pulling them out is to use a test light. Ground your light then see if you are hot on both sides. Works great for me. I usually break the glass fuses try to take them out. Sometimes it is hard to see if they are blown or not.