Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing gm 10 bolt need suggestions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79ON40s, Jan 7, 2007.

1. 79ON40s

79ON40s Registered Member

hey guys i am new to chevys. i picked one up cheap and i am ready to start building it up. it is a 79 k10 short bed with a 4" susp and a 3" body. the truck is pretty rough shape. it has a 12 bolt in the rear and a 10 bolt in the front. i know the 10 bolt will not last long, any suggestions on which one to swap it with? thanks

2. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

The 10B will probably outlast that 12B. Doing a search (highly recommended before you post, as most info is easily found) would reveal the ultimate bolt-in beef is Dana 60 front and 14BFF rear. What size tires do you plan to run and what are you intending to use your rig for?

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

HE cant do a search hes not a paying member.

I suggest u become a paying member its only 25 bucks and its really worth it if ur gonna build up ur truck.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, knowing your tire size and intended use will make this question a lot easier to answer.

5. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

We could help you a little better if you told us what your truck specs are or are going to be and what type of driver you are and what type of terrain your going to be driving in.

I would also suggest becoming a member. Tons of info inside could really help you out.

6. 79ON40s

i am running interco 39.5x15-15 tires. i have done some research about warn axles and ox u joints, just wanted some input from some folk that know. i will join i dont mind paying just kinda checking the forum out. i am coming over from toyotas and any input is appriciated.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

With those tires, get a dana 60 front and a 14BFF rear. You are correct that the 10b will not last if you drive hard at all.

The 14bff is not generally hard to find, the Dana 60 will be harder and more exppensive. Look in the classifieds here to get an idea of the asking prices.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Tires that large and wide will kill both axles relatively quickly. Most people on here run 14ff 1 ton rear axles. You can find them very commonly in junkyards from 2500 and 3500 chevy trucks...for around $150. If you get one from a 2500 (3/4 ton) truck, it will bolt right in with the exception of the ujoint. If you get one from a 3500 (1 ton) you will need to move the spring perches and shock mounts. Make sure the one you get is a 14ff not a 14sf. The 14ff is larger and stronger. Most people consider this axle "un-breakable" It can easily hold up to 44's and a healthy big block.

For the front, you want a 1-ton Dana 60. They can be found on many of the same 1-tons that sported 14ff rears. These axles are pretty beefy. However they are more rare than 14ff's...so expect to pay $800-$1000 on a used one in only fair condition.
    -Harrison

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

skip the HD stuff for the 10 bolt and save your money for a dana 60. a 14 bolt full floater will be easy to find and cheap. look for one from a 3/4 ton truck as the spring perches will line up.

I ran warn HD shafts and broke them.

If you pay the membership fee you can see all the pictures and do searches. a magazine subscription would cost as much and not give you nearly as much knowledge.

10. 79ON40s

don't they have a lifetime warranty? i thought if they did i would just go that route with the 10 bolt, just because its lighter and smaller(more gc), however i have read about the tubes actually breaking. thank you guys for your input.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Unless you have a super-light-weight rig, building a 10-bolt is useless with 39s and big HP. There are just too many weak links with that much stress.
    I honestly wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 35s with a 10-bolt, unless you're building a mall crawler or a rock buggy.

There's a guy in my neighborhood selling a sweet D60 and 14bff combo with lots of good quality parts for only $1500.
    http://detroit.craigslist.org/pts/249144003.html

The deals are out there but they're few and far between.

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

yes they do. But it gets old breaking them on the trail and spending an hour pulling all the broken parts out. then only have 3 wheel drive and having to take it all apart again to install the replacment shafts that took a month to get back to you.

Get a 60 and never look back. you are half way there. you already have the 14 bolt.