Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing heater core on 1990 fullsize jimmy....CANT GET TO IT!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dallas, Jan 24, 2002.

1. dallas

dallas Newbie

i need to reaplce my heater core...i know its behind the BIG BLACK BOX under the passengers side of the dash, BUT i cant figure out how to get that box off!!! its got 4 or 5 little pins holding it on....how does this come off?! i have to drive it in about 2 hours....thanks

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Look up above on this screen for a section labeled "technical", there's a detailed explanation in there.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

There is a huge write up on this under the 'technical" section on-top of the web page..

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>The darker side of nonsense...</a>

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Board Administrator Grim, wrote an excellent article about heater core replacement and it is posted in the Technical Section. Two hours to complete this task is a little short without any prior knowledge of the core removal. If you have a helper and a couple of long extensions, you can remove the nuts on the bolts that hold the core in place without removing the inner fender.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60, 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 AE 589's, 37x12.5 SSR

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Did it myself recently. Grim's writeup is great. But I had the same question about those bolts. They are like carriage bolts. You have to loosen them by taking off the nuts on the opposite side, in the engine compartment. There were three of those on mine and a regular bolt on the bottom right (may or may not be that way for yours). Anyway, undo those nuts and then tap the bolts in a bit to loosen the distributor box (the thing you're trying to take off) inside the cab. Then wiggle the distributor box off. There's one nut that is hard, if not impossible to get to by that inner fender. I found it easiest just to take that inner fender off. It was pretty easy.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog, it is very dark.</font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I left the bolt that is hard to get to off so next time it'll be easier to replace. Anyway, it's not put together right unless you have parts left over. [​IMG]

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can bypass it if it's an emergency and you can't fix it right now.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles