Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Hyd. Lifter w/o Replacing Cam?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seattlek5, Dec 7, 2002.

1. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Can I replace the lifters in my rig without replacing the cam? I have an intake lifter that collapsed on the way home today. the engine is a fresh 383 that wasn't built by me. I'm just not sure if I want to or can afford to replace the cam right now. I know that if I decide to replace the cam later, I'll have to buy lifters again at that time. Can I replace just the bad one now? Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. unsane

unsane Guest

Sounds risky unless the motor isnt realy broken in yet....but im no rocket scientist...Anyone else?

3. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the mileage, I think it's less than 5000 since it was built.

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Sure. You can put new lifters on a used cam, but shouldn't put old lifters on a new cam.

5. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

It is relatively rare that a lifter goes bad. Usually it wipes the cam lobe causing the tapping noise/bad performance & lack of valve lift. If there are any grooves/marks in the bottom of the lifter when you remove it, the the cam is junk & the next lifter will go even faster.
    Best of luck.
    Lonnie

6. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to tear it down in the morning and see what's going on. When I checked it by pushing on the push rod, it feels like the lifter is just a spring with no hyd. resistance. The motor has been running great and just started running bad in the last 5-10 miles. I report what I found Sunday afternoon.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If the cam lobe is not wiped out, you should be able to just disassemble the lifter and clean it out, and put it back in. It probably just has a piece of crap stuck in the check ball.

9. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Just got it out...the cam and lifter are wiped! I'm going to pull the motor next weekend and swap the 327 that I pulled a couple of months ago back in. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Any K5er's in the Seattle are that want to lend a brother a hand? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It Looks like I'm going to have to go through the 383 and make sure it's done right, and look for a Chevelle to put it in later