Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Ignition control module

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by riggz, May 10, 2005.

1. riggz

riggz Registered Member

So after all this time of trying to figure out why my truck will start and run fine for a minute or so, then start running horribly rough, i just now get a new SES code.

42 = Ignition Control short/open/component failure.

A replacement module is only $30 so I'll give it a shot. My question is... Where is it located and how do I replace it?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Its easy. It is located underneith your distributor cap. Disconnect the battery. Unscrew the 2 screws that hold the cap on. Pull the cap and pull the rotor. Unscrew the 2 screws that hold the module in place and pop off the 2 connectors. Clean the distributor area where the old module sat.

LUBE THE NEW MODULE. Use the packet of dielectric grease in the box with the module on the bottom of the module. Put is on and spread it around the metal surface.

Reconnect the connectors to the new module and install new module. Replace the rotor and then cap. Reconnect the battery and try and start the motor. If is won't start then you have other problems.

Harley

3. riggz

riggz Registered Member

ok great! thanks for the fast reply. ill try this out tomorrow.

4. slacker

slacker Newbie

hey let me know if this works, i got a code 42 also on my 89 suburban 350 tbi. my motor runs good till it warms up then the check engine light comes on, the idle drops and for some reason the exhaust gets real loud. still runs ok though...weird

i kinda like the louder exhaust now...gonna redo it after i get this fixed and probably put a flowmaster on it.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

This might save you some money.

Code 42 diagnostics

That's the F-body carline, but TBI, so should be identical in regards to code 42.