Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing lifters, but not cam?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AussieK5, Aug 16, 2006.

1. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Ive always treated my lifters and cams as matched sets on any engine I've built or played with, as you should. Unfortunately doing this leaves me with no experience as to how long it takes a set of fresh lifters to munch a old camshaft. Something I'd like to know.

I ask this question with regards to a cheap V8 parts chaser I'm using while the K5 gets restored,.......
    [​IMG]

Dont worry I wouldnt do this with any engine I want to hang on to or depend on for DD or expedition duties.

Has anyone got any experiences they can share? I'm looking for input from guys who build their own engines and have first hand observations.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

If its a roller cam, it makes no difference, which is why no break in is required for roller cams. If its a flat tappet, then you need a new cam/lifter set. Each lifter wears according to the lobe its on.

You might very well be fine using new lifters on a old cam, but i wouldnt do it the onther way around. Its not something I would do, but you could try it.

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I have a 69 buick Riviera with a 430 engine. It had been parked for several years and at least two lifters colapsed. I pulled out the old threw in some new(all 16) and its run fine for the last 7 years. I think i may have run a break in on it but can't remember. My father has done the same on his crysler 383 with no ill effects.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can use new lifters on an old cam but not used lifters on a new cam or different cam because it will wear out the cam lobes.

5. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Thats what I wanted to hear :waytogo:

Out of curiousity I'm going to record the lift on a couple of lobes and check them after a 1000 miles or so of running.

Thanks guys

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Add me as another person thats successfully done the new lifters/old cam deal. :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

x2 :wink1:

8. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Liquor then Beer, Never fear... no wait... new lifters old cam, never fear... that's it.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Me 2!

I've put new lifters in many engines without changing the cam,did it to my 69 GTO,a 250 Chevy six,and many other cars in the shop with no ill effects..I'd never put OLD lifters on a new cam though,thats a sure fire way to destroy both..sometimes just swapping in new lifters will "eat" a cam lobe,but chances are if it does,it was already worn down beyond the hardened lobe surface..

It's always best to replace BOTH,but in my cases,most of the engines and cars were nothing special,and didn't have to be "perfect",I just wanted all the valves to open and close again!..and not drive me nuts listening to them clattering..:crazy:

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It ought to work all right.

However, if I had the engine pulled and bolted to a stand already, and was going to be removing the intake manifold and valve covers in order to change the lifters, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't pull the water pump, front cover, and timing chain, then just put in a new camshaft with the new lifters. Nothing radical for a humble parts runner, just something like an RV-type cam.

11. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Me to, but i would NEVER pad.

12. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member