Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing lug bolts-whose got the tricks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LAZYMON, Oct 3, 2000.

1. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to replace 2 broken stud bolts from the same wheel. Front disk brake. What's the best way to go about this? I've done it on rear drums on a car but not a 4X4.
    Thanks

73 Topless Blazer

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

You'll have too remove the the hub and spindle.Then use a punch and BFH.Repack the bearings while your there.And if two broke then there all too old.I would replace all 6 or 8 depending how many you got.Almost forgot on the back side of the rotor theres a seal they cost a buck or two.I would replace that too.

3. LAZYMON

Do I need a special tool to get the rotor and hub off of the spindle? Some kind of hub socket or puller?

73 Topless Blazer

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Whack it with a hammer........ Whack it, whack it.......

Whack it hard....... Whack it...... Whack it with a great big hammer!!!!!!!!!...........

WHACK IT..... WHACK IT...... WHACK IT.........

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You need a hub socket to get the hub nut off. They cost about $20, but it's a needed tool, so get it. (Sam goes if you get a 14bff rear axle,k it has a special hub nut socket.)
    If I remember correctly, I replace the wheel studs on my 1/2 front axle (before I swapped it out) by hitting them out without removing the hub/rotor assembly. Carevully extract them, then carefully put in new ones. Put on your wheel, use a big breaker bar (or impact wrench for those with the bigger wallets) to seat the studs. It worked fine for me.
    When I going through my 3/4 front, I pulled the rotors to do it because I replaced the rotors anyways. Your call.
    It's pretty easy either way.
    -- Mike

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey TX Mudder,
    Where can you get that Hub Socket? Would a place like Sears carry them? Or would I have to go to Advanced auto or something. I'm trying to remove the drums on my 14bolt FF that I have in the garage and couldn't figure out how till I read your post. Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

7. LAZYMON

TX Mudder gets the prize

Well there is no prize, but there is no need to pull the rotor. Out the back with minor modification. There is a notch that lines up behind each bolt, but there is also some kind of shield blocking extraction, it's thin steel so I drilled out a bit off the edge untill the bold head cleared. Then I WHACKED IT out. Thanks EMMETT. The new ones slid right in. Hold them with something tight so it doesn't drop down inside, that would be a bummer, hard to get. I took a old lug nut and two washers and torqued it with a torque wrench untill they were seated. I wrote all that in case some else wants to know. Anyway it's all back together and it cost me $4.50 and some time. I learned some stuff about my hub, brakes and suspension so I guess we win another one.
    Next Project
    Thanks All
    Later

73 Topless Blazer

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    I got the socket for the front at NAPA. I have also seen them at Pep Boys, Kragen, ect.

blazen91

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My local Autozone had the hub socket for the front axle.
    I had to go to a mom and pop auto store to get the 14 bolt's hub socket. All the big chains just didn;t carry it, I have no idea why. I was getting pretty pissed till I found the ONE the small store had.
    To whoever said that the hub was the only thing stopping them from getting the drum off - I had the same problem, I didn't know it was unlike semi-floaters and neeed the hub nut removed. I think it was Squash who clued me in. I sure felt like an idiot LOL
    -- Mike