Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Manual Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mreetz, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Did a search, found nothing. Need some help replacing some MM manual hubs on my '84. I did mine when I bought but have since lost the info. I can get the outside off, the spring, inner gear. I cannot get the middle of it out. I removed the retainer ring and that's as far as I can get.
    HELP
    Marty---

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

There is a retaining ring that snaps into the actual wheel hub. It holds the rest of the lockout in the hub. Its a pita to get out. It just takes time and patience. Use a small screwdriver and pick tool.

Hope it helps,
    John

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

It looked like there was somthing back there......thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Holy Cr@p, these things are impossible to get at!!!

5. muddbogg89

muddbogg89 Registered Member

someone suggested using a dental pick.I tried it and it worked great but,I've found if you try too hard the pick will bend. You can get one at any drug store. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. NetBlazer

NetBlazer Registered Member

Yeah, those snap rings are a big PITA to get out. I have the same hubs on my 88 and have been popping them in and out a lot lately in my axle swap and rebuild, (and subsequent teardown for balljoints after I got it all in the truck /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.) What I found works well is to get a couple of small screwdrivers, I like the little pocket ones that us PC guys seem to have lying around everywhere, and jam one in about an inch or two from one end of the ring and pry it in towards the hub body, then take another small screwdriver and stick it under the end of the ring and pry out. Then just work the ring out the rest of the way around. It also helps to get the hub body out if you screw one or two the the cover screws back into the hub body and use them as handles to remove the hub body.

Hope this helps.
    Sean