Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing metal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eagle86K5, Mar 28, 2000.

1. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Any you folks had any luck replacing mounts and floor boards from like say J.C.Whitney?
    It seems that with a mig welder and a few of those metal pieces I could play ...Rust Be Gone!

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

2. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

i ground our rust and used scrap roof flashing and pop rivets (only had small areas to do) sealed it up with calk and bondo. no problems

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine works for Sears doing heating and A/C installs...I was wondering how good some of the galvanized leftovers would work patching small stuff...

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

4. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

roof flashing is pretty flimsy so i'l guess it would work just fine. only problem with mine is that one the passenger side it "pops" when you get in, but better than falling out and it was free.

doin it all on a budget

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I used a piece of jacket material from an old furnace to do floors on mine. It was galv. plus painted the ugliest shade of green imaginable. It was free and heavier than plenum or duct material. If your friend has to scrap a furnace he'll have 2 big side pieces plus the doors from the ends.
    John

6. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

You can weld galvanized metal, but be careful, the vapors are poisonous. Stay upwind or select more suitable material.

7. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

I am replacing some of the areas on the bed and tailgate area with galvanized sheetmetal from heating/ac shop. It's working great so far. It sure as heck would be nice to have a sheet metal brake in my shop to bend the metal though. The metals welds good, but again, watch the vapors they can be harmful if inhaled a lot.

Tuck