Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing my P/U Box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Oct 20, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I just picked up this stock 85 K30 with a rebuilt 350 for 1800. The only down side is the box is kinda ratty. Anyway, I can find countless newer (88+) boxes around for cheap. This gives me the follwing questions:

- Will it bolt right up?

- If not, how much work is it?

Thanks.

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

uhh if you dont mind the goofyness of the different styles i guess it wouldnt matter..ive seen it done befor..1800 for a k30...pretty cool..lift it and throw some 44's on it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The body lines will not line up and it'll look gay as hell. Just get the right box.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

could chop the frame and go stepside short bed. Seen 88+ stepsides on older pickups, looks good, I think.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Flattttt bedddddddddd.... or tube bed, or utility bed, or whatever, grab a welder and get going.

I've seen newer beds on older trucks, it can look great, but the paint has to match,a nd the front be as clean as the rear (sheetmetal wise)

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Well, still not much luck locating a stock bed in Co Springs. As far as lifting, that is temporaily out of the question. I plan to use it as a snowplow truck, so don't want to do any mods. When I am done, I figure I'll slavage the axles for something anyway.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

wow, nice buy, yea i see a few 87 and older chevy trucks around here driving around with 88+ boxes, mostly mexicans with a bunch of lawn equipment in the back and a trailer, if the truck isnt ment to look pretty, and its ment to work and function, id say do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    wow, nice buy, yea i see a few 87 and older chevy trucks around here driving around with 88+ boxes, mostly mexicans with a bunch of lawn equipment in the back and a trailer, if the truck isnt ment to look pretty, and its ment to work and function, id say do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm whats considered ratty in cleaner places like CO would be considered great around here, you would be scared to see whats considered good or a little bit ratty around here, in which theres very little of to find.

i have yet to see an 88-up bved on anything older, hmmm.. where in IL are you ?

closest ive seen to date is 73-79 ford pickups with 80-up beds on them,

did once see a 78 chevy pickup with a 68-72(with side markers) chevy pickup bed on it,actually looks pretty good, it ended up scrapped a couple or three years back just like everything else does here

if the truck is a snowplow truck then why mess with ther bed or any of the body anyways? i would save the work and trouble and money and all and just run it howit is, i doubt that replacign the bed wont help it to plow any better

hmm..

good luck