Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing my seat...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Oct 26, 2004.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Is there a seat out there that I can put in my truck to replace my beatup ripped 1979 seat? Im thinkin of putting in a 60/40 bench... what would be the easiest to do this with... having less modifications? Greatly appreciate it...
    Jeff

p.s. wife and son need to be able to go..that is why im keeping the bench.. and also im goin to a junkyard tomorrow... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

JC Whitney has nice seats.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Your pretty much stuck with stock full size seats,unless you dont mind doing some fabrication--a 60/40 seat is usually about a foot shorter than the width of a stock bench seat--you'll have a large gap between the doors and the ends of the seat.Maybe a large land yacht like a crown vic or a caddy might be close,or an impala wagon.I had a six way power leather caddy seat in my 72 K5 and I loved it--it barely fit though,it hit the armrests when I shut the door.Made a huge difference on long trips. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. RootBreaker

didnt get to put this up last night...

Ok so I think I scored at the junkyard but was on the receiving end...
    I found a truck ... 1987 chevy silverado C10 (yes 2wd)
    It had a black bench seat in it.. I dont think it was a factory seat as it is black, cloth, flips forward and has a big bowtie in it...
    Looked really nice... I went and asked them how much... A lady walked out with me and said.... Oh that is a nice seat... So I bent over and said .... how much... She replied $125... I said ouch.. but it looks sharp and noticed that the seatbelts were black.. Well I have brown interior that I am trying to replace.. to blue or black.. so I said.. Can you throw in the seatbelts and the seat for $125.. she said... $150.. I was thinkin.. WHEN IS SHE GOING TO THROW ME A BONE!!!!... So I wasnt sure..we walked back to the building. I asked my father and he said that seats are getting harder to find.. on car-parts.com they want $200 and up are in good shape and $200 and down are good to put a cover on them.... plus shipping.. so basically it is a good deal.... So I went back to the truck and looked again... I noticed that all the trim is black.. so I went back up and asked how much for the seat, seatbelts and trim... she came back out to look.. then she said...

Ok I already told you $125 for the seat.....

and seatbelts.... ( BONE THROWN MY WAY!!! )

plus $25 for the trim... so $150... I said... SOLD... plus they remove it all... I am not sure if the seat is going to bolt right in to my truck as I think I saw 4 bolts in the back to the floor on this seat and in my truck I think it only has 4... so I will drill holes and bolt that puppy down!!!!!!

So did I do good or no? Will have pics tomorrow as I pick the stuff up.... I really wanted a 60/40 bench but even at this old seat for $125 then how much are they going to get for a 60/40 bench?????

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Seats can be pricey--especially one in good shape for chevy trucks,most are trashed by the time the truck gets to a wrecking yard.I have a few yards near me that are overflowing with vehicles--so much so that they are crushing cars right when they come in without even looking to see if they have good engines,tranny's,etc.I saw a 1 ton chevy dump truck with a dana 60 sitting in the parking lot of one yard yesterday,sitting on the ground with no rims and tires--the owner would probably sell that axle for a few hundred bucks--either that or it will sit in the back of the yard,hoplessly buried behind 20 other vehicles.I thought it a shame someone junked that truck without trying to sell it--I would have bought it!.
    As for seats,at this junkyard,many of the cars get left open to the weather after they pull the windsheild,or other parts like doors and sunroofs are pirated for other cars,so they arent too expensive there--they would rather sell them fairly cheap before they get ruined,and they are a pain for the yards to get rid of anyway--they can sell steel for scrap,but interior plastic panels and seats usually decrease the value of a car headed for the crusher--some even have to pay a fee to have them hauled away.I bought bucket seats from a dodge caravan there for 25 bucks each,nice mint velour maroon ones,and a bench seat from a lincoln town car,power leather split bench seat for 75(had very minor stain damage).All I can say is shop around when junkyard hunting--some places are gold mines--some give you the shaft!.But your price wasnt outrageous--even at yard sales and swap meets truck seats in nice shape are not cheap,mostly due to the fact there just arent many in good shape out there. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

So did I do good or no? Will have pics tomorrow as I pick the stuff up.... I really wanted a 60/40 bench but even at this old seat for $125 then how much are they going to get for a 60/40 bench?????

[/ QUOTE ]

If the belts are in good condition they will ebay by them selves for over $150. Black belts are really hard to find and fetch an even better price.

7. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the belts are in good condition they will ebay by them selves for over $150. Black belts are really hard to find and fetch an even better price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I did good...

pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bigger pics here..
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/10_29_2004/seat1.jpg
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/10_29_2004/seat2.jpg

Why is it that digital cameras show more dirt than meets the eye??? I am going to steam clean it... so it looks dirty but sweet.. the seatbelts even say GM on them and they are clean lookin... not that I am up for looks...

8. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I bought a pair of New Chevy Express van front bucket seats off Ebay. These were take outs from new vans going to custom van shops. They are just what I wanted and only $200 shipped.