Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing my shocks...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 7, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I found the shocks under my truck... apparently, they are aftermarket already, but they look like crappy car shocks... I have dual shocks up front, and the standard singles in the back... the duals are not twins, so I'd have to replace them with different length shocks... i think. Would you guys suggest going with a rancho or similar, or grabbing a set of Monroe long travels for $20.00 each?

On the duals fronts, can I do long travel on both shocks with my apparently "stock" lift, or should I jack it up a few inches first? By the way, my front end leaf springs are actually flexed past 180 degrees (meaning they are convex right now if you are looking at them from above...) Are they supposed to be that way? there is no overload spring on the front, and it's a fairly rough ride, but my blazer stands taller than every other stock suspension truck I've found here so far.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Stock 1/2 ton front springs with two leaves are usually pretty flat, sometimes with positive arch, sometimes with negative arch. Mine were slightly negative like yours, and rode like crap. Can't tell you much about shocks, other than I would only want to buy them once. So I'd be certain that your truck is riding at the height you want it at before getting them.

3. mikeash

mikeash Newbie

My 1990 GMC Jimmy has the same setup and rides like it has no suspension at all. Would a lift with front and rear arched springs help, and do you have to stick with the dual front shock setup when you lift it or can you go with a single?

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Did you do a spring swap or something else to fix your ride? I don't want it to be quite so bumpy... I know I'm never going to get to the comfort level of a 'burb... but at the same time, I don't want the comfort level of an APC...

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1) stock springs tend to be like that... and will probably ride the same no matter what you do unless you swap them out.

2) dual shocks aren't needed up front unless you do desert racing or something like that. Thanks to advances in shock technology (thank the monster truck and baja guys) you really only need one. This is good, cause it saves $. :) long-travel shocks only make sense if you have a flexible front suspension and plan on using some of the travel you have... super-long shocks won't fit on a stock-height rig in the stock mounting locations. Furd shock towers, tube towers or whatever... you'd need something different to mount long shocks otherwise they either wont fit at all, or if they do they will bottom-out really easily.

j

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well actually my ride is even harder than the hard ride I had earlier. That's because I'm using some old cheap used lift that was in the back of the truck when I bought it, pretty stiff. I just ditched the swaybar, and after I get the rear redone with new "modified" 52's and a shackle flip, I'm going to put 6" Tuff Country's in the front. I plan on doing the Ford shock tower swap to allow for all that travel.