Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing output bushing on an NP208

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

In attempts to solve my vibration issue, I will be removing the rear part of the NP208 tomorrow to replace the bushing and seal.

Just wondering how difficult this will be. I am planning to go on a run on Saturday, and hope I can get this done Friday night after work.

Anyone ever done this before? How long did it take ya? Is there anything else I should do while I'm at it?

I took the Blazer down to the drive train shop and was told that my angles (with t-case lowered) are perfect (6' and 7'). The guy suggested the vibration might be coming from the output bushing in the NP208. He said it was probably toast due to running a stock drive shaft for so long on the lifted truck. I've had the drive shaft lengthened since.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
    Thomas.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You will need something to pull the bearing out and install the new one.
    I used to use a soket or a tube slightly smaller, now I got a bearing puller installer set.
    If you are mechanically inclined you should have it done in 1-3hours depending on your skills. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Stoopalini

Great, thanks for the info.

I have a set of gear pullers that work great removing pulleys, bushings, bearings, etc.

I don't know too much about transfer cases; Is there a bearing I should replace too? I was planning on replacing just the bushing and seal.

Thomas.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I havent worked with the 208, but I had a slipe yoke th350 on my van and I believe they are the same way, so no I don't think there is anything other than the bushing and seal.

5. Stoopalini

I went down to NAPA yesterday and picked up the bushing/seal kit and also picked up the rear output shaft bearing. I figure if I don't have the bearing handy, it'll be shot when I get in there /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any other advice before I open up my t-case? A transfer case is probably the only component I have yet to dig into ....

Thomas.