Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Power Steering Reservoir

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scubahard, Feb 28, 2005.

1. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

My Power Steering pump is leaking and sounding like it is on it's last leg so I am going to need to replace it. I was looking at AGR PS Pumps as a replacement, but none of them come with a new Reservoir (stock location). Does anyone know of a shop/online company that sells just the reservoir or Reservoir/AGR Pump? AGR does not seem to have one, is this true? Thanks.

1981 K1500

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The resevoirs come off easily. Just a big o-ring, usally supplied with the new pump, and pop your old resevoir onto your new pump...

3. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

That does not sound bad at all. It is hard to tell where the leak is coming from, but it looks like it might be coming from the Seams on the reservoir. I won't be able to really tell until I remove the pump. Although,....i did just replace the belts so maybe as i was tighening the belts it broke the seal on the shaft.

I was hoping to get all the parts that I might need before I take it all apart. I do no think the Reservoir will be that expensive, if i can find it.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How bad does it sound? As an option to replacement, try using some of that power steering fluid with stop leak. That stuff can work wonders.

All the power steering pumps make SOME noise I think (probbaly not brand new, with age) so if it's just once in awhile, or under hard load, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine sticks when it's cold, (also common) one of these days I might get around to doing something about that. :)

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack but this might end up useful.....What do yuo guys think about doin that radiator hose extension on the reservoir? Ive heard good stuff about that.