Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing rear brakes on K5 w/ 3/4 ton rear end...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nissan11, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Nissan11

Nissan11 Newbie

I have been looking for a blazer with a 6.2L diesel but have had no luck so i am going to settle for a 350. I found a guy with a 85 K5 that has an 87 bottom end and throttle body and he said he'd sell it to me for $800. Looks like its been sitting for a while, interior is torn out but he has all of it he claims. Says it runs great but needs new rear shoes and drums. My question is what vehicle do I order the brake parts for since he put a 3/4 ton chevy rear end on it? Just a 3/4 ton pickup? Also how much work is involved when replacing these parts, I have never done drum brakes only disc. The truck also has a 6'' susp. lift and 4'' bl with 35'' mud terrains. Does this sound like a deal for $800 if it runs great and only needs brakes? Thanks!

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Go to our axle ID area and figure out what axle it is. All you'd have to know is what size drums it has and you can call the parts store and get a quote for them. Different size drums and different axles mean different prices.

Axle ID

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It sounds like a fair deal to me. I would get rid of the ghetto-fab 4" body lift right away though.

From AutoZone, the small drums are $83.99 each, and the large drums are $87.99 each. The shoes are about $20. You will have about $190-$200 just in the parts.

If you are interested - and if you have a 14 FF axle, it is very easy to put disc brakes on your axle. I did the disc conversion on mine and I bought all the parts new for about $200 including brake lines and hoses. You wouldn't have a parking brake though... :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a basket case to me honestly. What do you mean there is an '87 throttle body on the truck? An '87 had an electronic fuel injected engine and an '85 had a standard carburetor on it, two completely different fuel systems with almost nothing being interchangeable between the systems, even the intake manifold and heads are different. The '87 would have a 1 piece rear main seal vs. the two piece rear main that an '85 block and crank would have.

As far as the brakes, ideally you should know what the rear end came out of to make it easy for ordering parts. Just say the vehicle the rear end came out of and that should yeild correct parts. Saying that it's a 1/2t K5 with a 3/4t rear end doesn't do much besides confusing the parts boys and looking at you like they have headlights in their eyes.

I have a '75 3/4t 2wd 14BFF under my K5, I were going to order shoes I'd say I owned a 1975 C20 and need shoes.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Exactly, I have a 60 and 14FF under my K5 and I always order parts for a 1987 K30 when it comes to axles.

And if you have to replace the Drums and do not have vehicle inspections the disc swap is almost equal money and a far better braking system. Specially if you do mud or sand.

Ira

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

matching ratio's...

I'd make sure both axles have matching gear ratio's before buying..sounds like you could do better for the money in ways..unless its very rust free,,I'd offer a lot less,I'd assume the motor might be full of problems,and re assembling an interior and everything else done wrong might not be as much fun as you first thought... :crazy: