Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Rear Main Seal on the 1991

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I need to replace the rear main seal on my blazer. It is a '91 so I think it has the one-piece seal. I haven't pulled the flexplate off yet but the book says I need to drop the oil pan. Is it necessary to drop oil pan?
    Are there any tricks I should know about before doing this?

One other thing, anyone know of a good place to get motor mounts that are tough but still retain the tabs that the inspection cover struts mount to?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The rear main seal is a one piece style so no need to pull the pan.

As for the motor mounts the support rods that go to the tranny inspection cover bolt to brackets that are sandwiched between the block and the upper motor mount "bell".

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

No need to drop the pan as stated above. Just 'pop' the old seal out. Be careful not to score or scratch up the edges where the seal sit though. Before you install the new seal...get some fresh new motor oil and run with your finger, run it around the edge of the seal to help it slide in easier/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Once you are installing the seal...you will feel it 'bottom out' so you know its all the way in.

I believe the make a special install tool, so you can get it lined up right and pressed in correct with the motor still in the truck.

I did mine before I put the engine back in...so not sure how much of a PIA it is with it still in the truck.

Good luck!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just make sure to take your time and install it straight carefully /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

If I remove the seal retainer, then do I need to drop the pan?