Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing rear main seal...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Mar 18, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to replace my one-piece rear main seal by just dropping the oil pan...I am installing a 465/205 combo and will have easy access to the rear seal...but since it is one piece, does that mean I have to drop the crank...Basically is there any easy way to repalce the seal while the motor is in the truck?

Chris

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The transmission and must be removed to replace a 1 piece rear main.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You don't need to pull the crank. With the one piece rear main seal there's a seal retainer the seal must be pried carefully out of. My Chilton's show's a special tool for seal installation though. I've never done a rear main on a newer sbc so I'm not sure whether the special tool is that necessary or what.

Anyways the flexplate or flywheel will need to be removed to access the rear main seal retainer...

Rene

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The transmission and must be removed to replace a 1 piece rear main. Other than that it's no big deal.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I also need to replace mine.. Doesn't look like I'm gonna do it any time soon ether..

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Ya, I know I need to have the tranny and stuff out..I am replacing my 700r4 with a 465 so I am goint ot be replacing the flywheel and I will have great access to the seal...So the seal retainer is a friction fit, there are no screw or anyhting that hold the retainer in place?So basically, pry out the retainer, carefully remove the old seal and then carefully press the new seal on and reinstall the retainer....is this about right?

Thanks gang...

Chris

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The seal retainer bolts on to the back of the block...

Rene