Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing rear sidewindow on my suburban - need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ankarback, Nov 9, 2005.

1. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

What is the easiest way to replace the rear left sidewindow in a suburban? Seems like it's very easy to crack the new one when you press it into place.

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Yes, they are easy to crack. Just be careful, and push with your whole hand to spread the pressure. This may sound dumb but you are putting the gasket in first and then putting the window in it right?

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Install the gasket in the frame first, set the window into the lower portion of the gasket, and work the rubber around the rest of the frame. i found it easier to lube it with something like soap and water mixture to help the window slide into the rubber, use some tools if you have them, like plastic items to work the rubber around.

then installing the little rubber piece in the middle is even more fun :doah:

4. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it's going to be fun :doah: Maybe a stupid question but do I need to glue the gasket to the frame to prevent it from leaking.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Negative, you don't need to seal it. However you can if you'd like. I'm a self proclaimed expert on this now :D here is how I do it.

Tools: dish soap is your new friend! Use it liberally. Get yourself something firm, preferably plastic, or carefully use a butter knife. A rag to clean the soap off your hands (sounds stupid but wait until you're struggling with the freakin knife and gasket with slippery hands!), A buddy.

Like already said place the gasket onto the body first. Get a buddy to help you put the glass in place and hold it while you work the glass into the seal. Start in a corner any will do but if your truck is lifted a bottom corner makes sense and use lots of soap. Using firm pressure push the glass into place. It should be easy until you get to the last corner, at this point you will really need to use whatever tool you chose to 'lift' the lip of the gasket up and over the glass while applying pressure.

Next is the solid rubber bead. This is slow and tedious but not difficult. Start at the bottom edge, GM started about three or four inches from the rear corner. The bead has two lips on it. Place the inner lip into place in the gasket, lube the gasket and the bead with the soap, and press the second lip into the gasket with the knife, slightly stretching the bead as you go. At the end you will have extra bead, just cut and replace the metal cover to hide the junction. Wash off all the soap, and you're done. I've done this a bunch of times this summer and didn't break a single window. I'm sure you'll be fine.

6. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. I've bought the window used with the sealing allready attached to it so I have to figure out a way to remove it first then.
    I'll post on here again if I run into trouble. I'm probably not doing this until this weekend.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

just like the windsheild??

Sounds much the same way the windsheild goes in??--(never did a side window on a "burb yet)..I thought they would go in like the rear window on a pickup,and you'd use speaker wire or rope to suck the gasket into the metal cutout of the body..hmmm!

If I had a Suburban with a broken side window,I think I'd smash the other one too,and sheet metal over the openings and fill it smooth!.."Panel" suburbans look awesome,and GM never made any after 1972 that I'm aware of.. :bow: :crazy:

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yep, exactly the same as the windshield. And no need to use wire!

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

it actually makes it much easier to use rope or wire. personally, i have used 1/4" nylon rope with great success.

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

VistaBurb

Guys, Fireplug is way out in front on this one. I also just "popped-in" the glass, and it does sort-of fall-in at the last. Took a look at the bead up next to the window at about 2 PM on Sunday and said, I'll wait until Sat. right after sunrise so's I'll have the whooole weekend to fondle that bitch.
    Thanks Fireplug :D

11. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Wicked cool Idea :bow: ...... If I ever break a side window, I may scarifice a bit of visibility in favor of making it look freakin awsome :saweet: Panel trucks just make me feel warm and fuzzy in side :D