Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing rear tailpan on K5?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Mar 28, 2007.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I really need to replace the rear tailpan and bed floor on my K5. What do you think is the best way to support the rear quarters and floor while I replace the tail pan? The top is removed so I will brace the rear uprights off the tailpan with some box tubing I have already drilled out most of the spotwelds across the tailpan that have not sucumbed to the rust... I think that it is only welded around the perimeter of the tailpan where it attaches to the uprights, correct?

Thanks for you input...

Chris

2. 99GmcClassic

99GmcClassic Registered Member

Not to blatently add nothing to this topic but, I'm sure its fine by our standards in Ma :D . I'm dealing with frame rot!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I supported the rear body of my Jimmy under the wheelwells with a pair of bottle jacks on top of the tires. With the top off there isn't much weight to support anyways.

To actually get that bastardly part of the truck replaced you will need to lift the body up some though. Rad support body mounts I left alone, next set under the firewall I loosened up, next set back I removed, as well as the middle of the box and the rearmost.

My tailpan had been replaced once before and they did some extra welding at the uprights. It was a real bastard to get it broke free...

Rene

4. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I just took my rusty ole rig to the local bodyshop. I've no skills with a welder so I have to pay someone to do the work. When I first had him quote me it was to fix the outside stuff, rockers and wheelwells and stuff. I went back later to have him quote the bed and tail pan once I removed the carpet and saw the rust and he was like "uhhhh this is going to suck" when he looked at the tail pan :D

The cost he quoted me for new wheelwells, rockers, doors, and a spot on the rear quarter was $2400.

5. chiefheaphy

chiefheaphy 1/2 ton status

tpan

theres a thread "k5 floors" that I had started a while ago in forum "body shop". We got into talking about replacing tail posts and pans. When I did mine I kept the top on to keep everything square and the doors shut and just let the f er hang. It only drooped like 7/8". Most likely if the tpan is rotted the bottom of the tposts are as well. You might wanna replace all three pieces. There a bitch to get out but its worth it when your done. The main thing is to make sure the tailgate fits. Make measurements, tack weld then check tailgate fit. In the pics the tposts look like they sit on the tailpan, but in reality you need to jack up the quarter panels about 1inch cut and fold one of the tabs(that is if you let it sag). Good luck check out that forum.

-B