Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing rocker panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87GMC, May 5, 2002.

1. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Going to be putting Herculiner in the floorboards soon. I also need to replace the rocker panels. So, I'm thinkin I could cut out the old inner and outer rocker panels and pop rivet the new ones in. If I Herculine the new panels also, will it hide the rivits and the panel seams. Thinking about doing the lower 3-4 inches of the front fenders, the lower door jamb, and the lower part of the bed. What do you guys think?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have never done them but my take is that if ya pop rivet them wouldn't that leave room for more water "rust maker stuff" to get in??
    They do have the the whole rocker's that you can cut out and weld in then herculine over that much better than the rivets IMO..www.lmc.com or www.jcwhitney.com....mike

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I highly recommend going to www.off-road.com.. in the chevy section there is a project Blazer were a guy replaced his rockers with some beefy box tube steel. Looks good and it adds serious rocker pro... at the same time you GAIN ground clearance! Pretty much the best of both worlds, and its relatively cheap!

J

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

5. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I've been kicking that idea around, too. I've got a pickup though, do you think the bed flex would be an issue? Do you think it will hurt the bedsides if it's welded---or leave the bed unwelded at the bottom, but then it could flex into the pipe? I was also concerned about the strenth of them since it's not tied to the frame. Is it strong enough to use a hi-lift to pick up one side??

6. Pure Insanity

Oh well that changes things. You could make them for the cab, but the bed sides wont be much good. The bedsides will just roll up unless you tie them in somehow. Dont connect them or make the cab hang over to the bed. The bed will just get lunched.

Rene was able to high lift his K5 up by the rockers he made. The cab of a truck may be different tho because the weight of the truck wont be spread over as long of an area.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It needs to be welded not pop rivited. Pop rivits would fail and it is structrual. Your asking for problems if you do anything other than weld.
    The truck on Off-Road.com is Depdogs. I also have the same set up. It could be done on a truck but it would have to be a cab peice and a bed peice. The bed would be the tough one becuase of the side sadle tanks. You would need to fabricate a bracket that will give plenty of clearence on the tank but ties in across several of the bed suport rails.
    As for not going to the frame...your better off NOT going to the frame unless your planning on doing a full roll cage to the frame and the sliders being part of it. As for strenght. if you do it right no problem. I have MANY MANY times dropped off ledges and landed on them. Not an issue if the cab mounts are good.

8. Pure Insanity

Oh yeah I totally forgot the rocker replacement part. It needs to be welded like Grimmy said. I am a body man, I cant believe I spaced that out. The rocker boxes are structural parts of the body. Besides that it would just let water and junk in anyhow and rust out faster.