Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing roof skin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, Dec 2, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever replaced a roof skin on a blazer or more specifically an 87 pickup? The roof is getting realy bubbly and everything else on the truck is fine. It looks like there is a seem around the roof skin that would be used to cut the old roof off and place a new one nicely. Does anyone even make an aftermarket roof skin or would I have to find a doner? Thanks

2. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

anyone?

3. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i've never replaced one but i can say i have also never seen one for sale aftermarket in all my years working on these trucks. my answer would be sand it down get rid of the rust paint it as close as possible and lift it so tall no one can see it :D

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've done it, its not bad, can't remember the name of the company I got the skin from though (might have been JC Whitney) I used a small cut off wheel to remove the old skin and then cleaned up the rust under it to save my windshield frame, unce I got the loose rust I put naval jelly on it to prevent further rust and put the new skin on using a coat hanger and a braising tip for my torch

5. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

If you remeber where you got the roof skin could you please let me know becuase I have searched around and have found nothing. Thanks.

6. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

7. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

No older than your truck is you can probably get it from the Chevy dealer and it will fit a lot better than any after market skin.