Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing rusty pieces on passenger side.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RustyParts, Nov 23, 2005.

1. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Well I got most of the rusty floor pan on the passenger side removed today and had to fabricate a couple of pieces that support the rear of the floor pan as one was gone and the other was rusted through.

As soon as I get my retirement check I can buy the parts to fix the door post and kick panel and then it's on to the bedsides. :D

DCP_3311.jpg

DCP_3313.jpg

DCP_3310.jpg

DCP_3315.jpg

2. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

1st Gen.

How did you get that little step in the side of the mount? Great pictures, very helpful. I await your next step as that is where my problem is. Lower "B" post,bedside. You are doing great work. Where did you get your background? Looks like you've been doing this for a while. Later J.

3. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

I remember that piece very well :( I didn't have the skills that you do to make a whole new piece, but I did cut a section off that was bad and weld a patch piece in. Your skills are incredible :D You must have an enormous collection of tools for metal work to be able to do it all so fast. Keep us posted!

4. RustyParts

Believe it or not I'm self taught and I made the offset with a hammer and a chisel rounded off on the end.

I drew a line on the pattern where the offset went and clamped the pattern in a six inch vise along the line allowing just a bit where the offset went then laid the chisel on the vise and hit it until I got the depth I needed and turned the pattern upside down and hit it on the other side.

I then drew a line where I wanted the flanges and clamped it in the vise and bent the flanges with a little persuasion from the hammer.

The only tools I use are a handheld cutoff grinder, welder (lincoln 170sp), 4 inch grinder, couple of metal dollies, couple of body hammers, die grinder, lots of clamps, small level, and the usual wrenches.

Poor man has poor ways. :D

Here's a picture of my other ride, (40 Olds) took me seven years to rebuild her.

DCP_0544.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  5. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

That's Nice!!!! :d
    Try using a cut off tool, sandblaster, or any other air tools with a 4 gal compressor. It sucks! But I manage somehow. I'll bet your compressor is pretty large.

6. RustyParts

Yeah, after burnin' up 4 or 5 small compressors I finally broke down a couple of years ago and bought a two stage, 80 gallon, "Quincy". Got all kinds of air now!

7. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

rusty metal

Have you tried adapting your angle grinder with 5" cut off wheel. Much more torque than air and it cuts sheet metal like butter. They're cheap at Home Depot, couple bucks a piece, sure beats my old air whizzer.

8. RustyParts

Yep, I use em sometimes to do the heavy duty cuttin', but you gotta watch out they do a good job of cutting skin also.

9. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Rusty Jimy

Yeah I have to agree on that, had to take off the guard to get in the tight spots. By the way, could you post some pictures of your half top, seems to me I could cut my hardtop in half and build the back part. Is there a part that fills in the bed below the half top? I realize you have alot on your plate right now, so maybe sometime in the future. Wish I had more time to devote to my project these 60 and 70 hour work weeks are killing me, seems like you have either the time or the money,never both!!! actually, I was tempted to put it in a shop but then I couldn't say I built it. :eek1:

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Your 40 Olds looks sweet :bow:

11. RustyParts

I'll be glad to get some pictures of the half cab just as soon as I can dig it out. I've got a bunch of junk stacked on top of it. I agree I believe the top half would be fairly easy to do if you had an old full Double lined top to sacrifice. The bottom part is made from steel and would be more of a chore but doable.

12. RustyParts

Thanks "Yukon Jack" It doesn't look to sweet now, a deer ran into the front of it and mashed er up. I'm trying to find a grille for it now, I've repaired the rest.

DCP_1890.jpg

13. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Dang, that's heartbreaking. Hope the repairs go well.

14. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

1/2 top jimy

Dude, take your time, I didn't realize your olds was smashed up! I had a similar thing happen to me, took out the front of my TR6, luckily I just went to the back yard and cut off one from my parts cars. The weird thing was a lady saw it happen and she said "look what you've done you killed the deer". Oh well, I guess she wasn't a motorhead!!!
    Actually, I was planning on making the bed front out of alum. diamond plate, maybe it would dress the bed up alittle with the oak wood floor, plus it will give me a place to tie in my 5 point harness. Later

15. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Now that is absolutely beautiful, damn nice job.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  16. RustyParts

Thank you kindly "Jiminycricket".