Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Sector Shaft Seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, May 5, 2004.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, well my box has been rebuilt by WTO 4 times now and the last time was about 2 months ago with a total of about 500 miles on the truck and the sector shaft seal is leaking now...

Anyway, I'm tired of paying like $50 in shipping to and from WTO so how hard is this to replace? Can the seal be replaced without pulling the sector shaft out or do I need to pound the seal out from the top? I really need to get this fixed by 5am friday /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Is it top or bottom? The top is simple, just straighten the wheels, undo the bolts holding it in and and make sure the pitman arm is off and take it out. I dunno about the bottom but im sure you have to take the sector shaft out.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The bottom is held on with a snap ring. It will fall down without the snap ring. I used to blow the seals in my old box every couple of rock trips so I just got used to changing it. You need to remove the pitman arm and pull the clip then it should fall out.