Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Speedo Cable ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Apr 8, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK It finally died... The Speedo used to jump around... now it doesnt move at all... it died right??? Just making sure...
    How hard is it to replace??? Is there one cable or two???
    Anyone know the cost of the cable? I have a 78 Blazer with a 350/350/203...
    Oh and where is the speedo gear located?

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

one cable and under $30.00 at checker

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Its cake to replace it. Im not sure about your '78 but on my '82 there are two cables. One runs from the back of the gauge to the cruise unit on the wheel well and then from that comes the other cable which leads to the transfer case. To remove the cables, simply turn them off by hand. To test the cables just undo both ends and turn one end with your fingers and check the other end for movement. My guess is that your cable is probably broken. If you dont have cruise then you'll probably have to take out the whole gauge cluster and pull the cable off of the back (only one cable, goes from the gage to the t-case. The speedo gear is located in your trasnfer case, easy stuff to fix but I think its your cable.

[​IMG]

4. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

$12 bucks napa not too ahrd the hardest part is hooking it up insdie the cab you might be able to get away with jsut use the iner calbe the houseing in withc its really easy and cheaper this is if there is not crusie its a jsut one cable

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bandit on 04/08/01 10:12 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I have cruise but it broke... So can i bypass teh cruise setup and just get the standard long cable???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes you can just get the longer cable

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]