Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing steering box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fright89, Nov 22, 2002.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

so it looks like my steering box is dead. I think i will see if i can pick one up today. having never done one any advice or tips would be helpfull. I will be doing this in ny driveway and do have a good manual. it does not seem like to big of a job. but then again im used to taking apart computers.

thanks

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

while you have it off, might be a good time to put a steering support\brace in there now, you can get one from www.roughcountry.com or somplace else. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

check for cracks around all of the bolt holes...and fix them...dont put it off either...i did...and it was bad juju

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I just did mine yesterday (finished in the wee hours of the morning). Basically you have to disconnect the hoses from the box and then take off the 2 bolts that hold the steering column. I did not have to mess with the pitman arm, since the salvage yard steering box included that. I jacked up that side of the truck to take the pressure off the steering components /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I think that is why anyways - the manual said to. Then I removed the drag link. After that it's 4 bolts that go through the frame. The thing is heavier than I expected! Be careful! Also I then took both the new and old ones to the bench and swapped out the "rag joint" or whatever that wafer-thingy is called that goes onto the worm gear. Had to swap the fitting for the return line, too. One thing, when reassembling I could not get the steering shaft to go in enough to clear the bolts on that rag joint. I had to take 3 of the 4 steering box bolts and loosen the 4th one, so I could pivot the steering box enough to hook them up. I hope that helps!
    I sent my truck away for the weekend. I need a vacation from it.

5. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

yes that helps. how long did it take you? did it correct your problem? sux not having the truck for the weekend. Gunna get snow soon and must have the truck ready for storm patrole.

thanks

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Yes it corrected the problem. I'm not sure if you know the problem? I posted on it a few days ago and can find the link if you like. How long did it take is relative. An evening I guess. I don't exactly work fast and I had to take it back off almost all the way in order to put it on. I got frustrated and sat there thinking for awhile too, not realizing that the bolts that attach the steering column to the rag joint are different sizes. So it only goes on one way. LOL. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be though. I did spray down the bolts with PB Blaster before I attempted to loosen them. Being a female and not a burly one at that, I need all the help I can get loosening bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif