Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing steering column

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Guszilla, May 2, 2007.

1. Guszilla

Guszilla Registered Member

I just bought a 87 K5 Blazer and it needs a new steering column. It is a four speed. What are the years and models of Chevy that I can use to replace it? Thanks

2. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

what problems are you having with yours? it may be an easy fix

well i had a 79 and it's not what you're looking for. the wipers were under the gauge cluster. i'd say anywhere from 83 (maybe earlier) to 91. even if you did find one from an automatic you could just take off the shifter and use it or take the parts from it and replace your parts.

3. Guszilla

It has a tilt column, but the actual column tube and tilt cracked. The only thing holding the steering wheel on was the steering shaft. The original column is dead. I know that the chevy columns are very similar in those years. So I was looking to replace it with the same options (wiper delays). The tilt is not so important to me. I just didn't know if there were different lengths for different trucks, or the columns were generally the same. Thanks!

4. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

pretty sure they are the same lengths. but could be wrong

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All trucks are same length. '73-87(91) of course. Best to get similar year though, since the wiring changed a bit, especially when the change from dash/floor mounted to column mounted wiper and highbeams happened.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You need the year specfic or 87-91 Blazer-Suburban collumn for your 87.
    Other collums like the same years IFS truck WILL NOT WORK! The truck columns are Totally diferent . They are longer and have a totally diferent mounting system and shift linkage is on the wrong side. Earlier models are diferent also. Different length, mounting, shift lever linkage.. Also have to factor in the wireing. Cruise, wiper delay, ECT.
    If you cant find a 87-91 blazer Sub replacement at a local junk yard.............
    There is a guy on ebay that sells rebuilt colums. I can vouch for him he does a pretty good job for the price. I have bought 2 columns from him.
    Here is one of his auctions.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-94-K-5-BLAZER-SILVERADO-YUKON-TILT-STEERING-COLUMN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ016QQitemZ260112736875QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
    The column shown is not the right one for your blazer but call him or E mail him. Calling him is the best. He has the right one you need and will work with you to get it right so all your acessories work as they should.. His prices are definatly good. He will give you a refund for your old core and pays for the shipping back to him no matter what condition it is in.

7. Guszilla

Thanks for the help! I checked out the Ebay auctions and it may be the easiest option for me to use!

8. Guszilla

I also came across a column for an automatic. The steering shaft is the same length, but the rest of the parts are not interchangeable as far as I can tell. I may try to remove the gear shifter and use it, or I may try and trade it.