Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing stock shocks ... advice on brands?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87K54WD, Mar 23, 2000.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Just tying to get some more advice and info. from you guys. Looking to replace the shocks (6 total ... quad system) and I have looked at the Gabriel LT shocks with some kind of VST technology from PepBoys. Also have looked at the Rancho shocks too. Any advice or suggestions. Everything on this truck is stock and looking to keep it that way. Just want something that will provide performance for street/highway/towing/and some off roading. I put in a new steering stab. shock a while back ... Moog TrailMaster ... good buy?? 73,000 original miles and still have factory shocks on there ... and to be honest I can't really complain about them but figured some new shocks couldn't hurt. Also, do you have to lift the truck (jack stands) when changing the shocks? Wasn't sure if you would have to get the weight off the shocks to change them.

2. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Take a look at Pro Comps, I have been very happy with mine.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

3. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Thanks OldSteel .... I forgot about the Pro Comps ... you get those from the magazines, right? One thing I like about the Gabriels is that it has a steel cover around the piston and it is a little larger 1 3/8" .... I think the Pro Comps have rubber boots and I'm not sure about the piston size. What was the factory shocks' piston size ... 1"?

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You should be able to replace your shocks without lifting the truck, but you may run into problems getting the bolts out. I had to torch the heads off my old bolts and pound them out when I did mine

5. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

RANCHO 9000'S LOTS OF GOOD REVIEWS INCLUDING MINE!

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

6. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

My 87K5 was bought with Monroe load levelers (6 total). I'd qualify them as more than adequate for how I use my truck (mostly highway/pulling small 17 foot boat). I have three friends that just put Edelbrock "equalizers" on their Chevy trucks. They all claim this shock performs as advertised. I haven't had an opportunity to test drive their trucks yet. I'm still skeptical. Anybody have a contrary opinion? I accuse them of praising the Edelbrocks simply because they spent so much money on them.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I think I just might go for the Rancho RS9000's this time around. The ability to control your enviorment from within the cab is nice...just like home...you don't have to get up to change the channel....
    Then I might remove the passenger seat for the 12 volt fridge....mount tv on top of it.....and put passenger seat in where the back seat goes for the stewardess......

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral