Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing TBI motor with LT-1???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Junkie, Nov 17, 2001.

1. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure i have to change the fuel pump, modify my fule lines to connect to the fuel rails on the LT-1, and modify the wiring harness. What else will i have do if i want to replace my TBI motor with a LT-1 motor??

Thanks,
    Joe

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/k5junkie>My Photos</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/jmargtx/index.html>My Webpage</a>

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would guess you are gonna need almost everything. Keep in mind the coolant passages are a reverse typ rotation... things I could easily see forgotten is serpintine belt setup... brackets... maybe even check out if the PS pump or alternator will work. I doubt the stock alternator will because of bracketry. On the tranny area... I assume you could bolt up most trannys, but mayneed a special or different bellhousing.

Sorry no real info here but just thought I'd run a few things past ya that may cause problems so you could look more indepth to what will work, what won't, and how much $$$ it will take to work. (I have been there and done that LOL [​IMG])

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

i've actuually dreamed of doing something like this to my blazer. except i wanted to use the ls1. and possibly the 6spd tranny too. i could just imagine how crazy you could get with gearing and still drive daily because of the 6th gear over drive. too bad it is just a dream because my wallet and lack of mechanical skill would not allow it.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

4. FARTMAN

FARTMAN 1/2 ton status

dude the reverse flow cooling is no problem as long as you get the engine complete because you have to run all its brackets and pulleys. the waterpump is driven by the camshaft no problem there. you do have to modify the wire harness.the fuel lines aint no big deal as long as you get a foot or 2 off the donor vehicle. ya need the fuel pump off the donor to put in your tank.as far as exhaust no problems ya have to get some of the pipe off the donor car or have a custom set made up.motor mounts bolt up and so do any chevy belhousing. there is a place on the web that modifys the LT1 harness to make things easyier on the brain. they charge like $200.00 for this service i can give ya the link if ya need it. the air cleaner is no problem K-N makes this piece it bolts right up.also i know of a website where a fellow k-5er put one in his k-5 the site has alot of photos. later gater and haves fun.

5. CHEVTRUCKSALVAGE

CHEVTRUCKSALVAGE Registered Member

i like this swap, it is a real neat setup when installed it has a lot of horse power and tons of stump pulling torgue, let us know how yhe swap goes!!!!!

6. slickwilly

slickwilly 1/2 ton status

that would be 1 awesome ride the camaro.vette and firebird had 300 net horse power the impalla and cop car had like 250 horse because of the quieter exhaust system. i think the other guys have covered all the bases with this swap good luck and let us know how she runs!!!!

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Unless you have an electric fan,you will need new fan,bracket,pulleys &amp; belt. Go to your local dealer and
    ask to see the illustration for heavy duty cooling on
    caprice or buick roadmaster. They have a belt driven
    clutch fan set-up. I just sold these same pieces for a
    jeep conversion. Have your parts person also see if
    the flex plate is the same.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift( I tell my wife it's ten) 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

8. MRBIGBLOCK

MRBIGBLOCK 1/2 ton status

GO FOR IT DUDE it sounds like a good combo.

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The impala has iron heads where as the vette and camaro have aluminum heads.

The impala ss iron heads are the same as the vortec heads of today. With the obvious difference of reverse cooling and such on the impala heads. The vortecs were derived from the impala iron head design.

I speak from experience, I have one, the 4500lbs impala ss with 3.08's and 30" tires will move. 15.1 secs in the 1/4 and 0-60 in 6.3 secs. These are stock specs.

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

10. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

ok i just got done doing that exact thing to my blazer. i got a complete 96 corvette lt-1. i went with the vette cause the vette lt-1s are a four bolt block, more horses and the acc. bracket dosen't interfer with the frame like the camaro's,

yes you will need to modify your fuel lines. What i did is i got the factory tbi lines on mine and spliced them together with the corvettes.

and imo don't waste money on one of the clutch fan conversion kits just get a electric fan. they both cost about the same and you wont lose horses like you will with a clutch fan

the biggest problem i ran into was finding headers. avoid sanderson, hedman has a new set for the d-port heads and our 4x4 trucks, but when i tried to install them the hit the bump stop for the front 3-rd member. if i remember right that is because lt-1's are an inch wider than normal chevy blocks. so i finnally got a set from street and performance <a target="_blank" href=http://tunedport.com>tunedport.com</a> i love these headers, great plug clearence and all the plugs are reasonably easy to change. and don't cost an arm an a leg. and i had enough clearance to keep my factory oil cooler

yes you will need a higher output fuel pump,

and if you are running a 700r4 you will need the throttle bracket off of a camaro 'cause vettes use a funky electronic control box that runs cruise and the kick down cable, lokar makes a throttle cable, thats what i'm using cause i got sick or looking for a factory cable that fit like i wanted it to.

and just for viewing plesure here are the basic differences between the different lt-1s

camaro/firebird - allum heads 275bhp 230-240 rear
    -wheel 2 bolt block

vette - allum heads 300bhp 250-260 rear
    -wheel 4 bolt block

capries/impalla- iron heads 250bhp haven't seen any real
    world dynos 2 bolt block

any specific questions feel free to ask

<font color=blue> If sancho knows what good for him, he best go run and hide. Cause daddy's got a new 45.</font color=blue>

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    What does the Torque curve look like ?

12. 88streetblaze

it goes great for my blazer and will throw me back in my seat , as for the curve if i remeber right it a is fairly constant curve until it peaks around 4500rpm?

if you actually want to see it i belive that the jim pace catolog had a dyno for the lt-1 in it.

<font color=blue> If sancho knows what good for him, he best go run and hide. Cause daddy's got a new 45.</font color=blue>

13. 88streetblaze

i almost forgot... street &amp; performance claims that in their work truck that they put a lt-1 in they get upwards of 22mpg...i'll let you know what i get when i really start driving mine daily.

14. 88streetblaze

i just keep remebering things i should have put in the first post. camaros fuel lines feed from the drivers side, so you would have to modify them to feed off of the pass. side, the vettes feed off of the pass. side, one more reason why to go with the vette if you can, cause if you do the math it will be cheaper in the long run to go with the vette and you will get more bang for the buck..

and if you can look for a newer lt-1 from 95 up. the first ones had some problems with the dist. getting water in them and causing all sorts of problems, but in 95 the added a vacumn line that kept it dry and solved that problem

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 88streetblaze on 11/19/01 03:38 PM.</FONT></P>