Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing the block heater

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Dec 10, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I noticed a slight weep of coolant from the block heater on my 6.2. Can this be removed and resealed or should it be replaced? How hard is it to replace? If it can be resealed what do you use to reseal it?

Rene

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would use the same thing I use on the freeze plugs, I think it's called indian shellack?
    It's brown thick liquid, like consistency of honey.

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The block heater actually has an O-ring on it. I would just replace it, since they're usually $30 or less. An old heater has the possibilty of popping out due to a corroded clamp, which has happened to me. I lost all my coolant without realizing it....drove it about 4 miles that way. Luckily no damage occured.

The worst thing about changing the heater is that you have to drain all the coolant. Clean the freeze plug hole really well with sandpaper. Put some grease on the new o-ring and heater and just gently tighten the clamp bolt down...don't overtighten.

Casey

4. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the screw on the engine block heater loose all the way untill it stop rotating. The engine block heater is in there rather tight. I have one edge up that I was wedging a screw driver in. I stopped as I'm consered about cracking the block. How do I get the engine block heater out?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The block isn't gonna crack, the heater will give way first. If I remember right one of the biggest problems was the motor mount was slightly in the way on mine.

Rene