Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing the Clutch:

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Logan, Dec 29, 2000.

  1. Logan

    Logan Registered Member

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2000
    Posts:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Fournier, Ontario, Canada
    Looks like it's new clutch time -- My '84 Jimmy w/ SM465 is starting to show it's age, I guess.

    The clutch has been a bit chattery since I got the beast (Oct. 99), so I can't say I'm surprised, especially with all the snow I've been driving in lately... I think I've put her sideways through just about every corner for the past two weeks, not to mention plowing through the deep stuff up at the cottage. =)

    Any recommendations as to clutch type? I've decided that every replacement part I put on should be an upgrade of some kind. I have to admit, the truck sees road 90% of the time, so I'm really looking for driveability/longevity. The other 10% is spent on logging trails, snow and a bit of mud... No insane rock crawling or anything.

    Also, how tough is it to swap in the new clutch? I've never done one before.

    Thanks!

    -Al.
     
  2. Burt4x4

    Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2000
    Posts:
    6,854
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    California (Modesto area)
    I too have a SM465 in my 72 and I did the swap. I put in a CenterForce II cluch kit. The Pressure plate has many 'fingers' that it uses for ingaging and disingaging the cluch. VERY easy on the foot especially compared to the old three finger pressure plate that was in there!! I would recomend CeterForece to anyone, It has been a great cluch and still works like the day I put it in 5+ years ago!! The one I have is rated at 60% more thatn stock. They do make one that is 90%, Dual Friction, but may be too much cluch for us 4x4s.
    All I know is I love the easy pedal and operation of my CenterForce!
    PS The job was a pain in the A$$!! It took me ALL weekend to get the trany and xfer case back up into my rig. I did not seprate the two, so was very awkward to support! But I did it, duno if I would doit again without more help and the right type of jack or jacks!!
    Good luck

    72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>
     
  3. Burt4x4

    Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2000
    Posts:
    6,854
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    California (Modesto area)
    Oh ya one more thing if you do doit get some longer bolts the same size that hold your tranny to the housing and cut the heads off. Put thease two bolts with no heads on them in the top corners to act as guide pins when reinstalling your tranny! This will make for very easy alignment once you get that sucker back up in there!!
    Hope this helps

    72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>
     
  4. mudhog

    mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2000
    Posts:
    17,899
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    portland oregon
    i just did this to mine about three months ago and it is not that hard just have a buddy help you when putting it back in

    s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud
     

Share This Page