Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing the trim panel on the tailgate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Nov 30, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

anyone ever do this? i just got a brand new one off of ebay for 50 bucks, and it will be the only trim on the K5. is there a easy way to do it while doing it right at the same time? lol

thanks

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

my guess would be the dubble sided body tape from 3M thats what most trim is held on by /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

The silver panel is held on by lips around the top abd bottom edges. Just use a screwdriver to pry the old one off.

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

the old one is off. if i knew any better, i would have removed the tailgate panel first. it is held on by metal nipples of some sort. but im not sure if they added glue to it also.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

mine was held on by the little "metal nipples" and it came right off with the little nuts removed, no glue or anything. Mine went to the dump, no more trim for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I replaced mine with a good, undented one because the original was all banged up. I just bent the top lip up on the old one and kind of popped the new one on. I can't really remember all that well. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

thanks guys/ ill post apic when im done. it says gmc and fuel injection, so ill be lying a little, but its a brand new oem, so it is in mint condition!

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Tom, i just took mine off for the paint work. should just be like 4 or 6 speednuts from inside the tailgate.. good thing you just replaced those panel screws /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

mines going back on this weekend. paints done. hopefully be at the shop saturday putting on all the TBI mods that just came in... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

cool , i need to come see it. ill give you a ring at the shop and see when its cool to come down.