Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing U Joint, Again

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Oct 29, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I have to replace the rear u joint on the rear axle frequently. It's always the same two sides of the u joint going out. Do I need to get my drive shaft balanced? And how do I know if the driveshaft is going in the way it should, I have no idea if it's in the correct position now or not.

Also, what about the grease? My dad said the packing grease is bad and should be removed and new grease put in?

Thanks.

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Generally, the packing grease is crap, and should be replaced. What kind of joints are you using? Are your driveline angles extreme on the rear shaft? Balancing can't hurt anything other than your wallet! Do the ends on the axle yoke always die first? If so, check that your yoke is in good condition, and that the cap-retaining nubs on the yoke are still holding the joint properly.

Best of luck.

-Dan

3. anatomiczero

The yoke on the axle is leaking, a little part of where 1 of the u joint retainer bolts go in is chipped and half the thread is pretty much gone on the inner half of that bolt.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Which ends on the u-joint wear out first, the ends that connects to the yoke or the ends that connect to the shaft?
    If the yoke side wears out first then you may be overtightening the straps. Install the u-joint by itself and tighten the straps as you normally would. Rotate the u-joint and make sure it moves freely. The same goes for the other end. Install the u-joint on the shaft and rotate the u-joint. If it feels tight then carefullt wack the u-jiont with a rubber mallet to drive out the caps slightly until it rotates freely.

5. anatomiczero

Thanks for the advice, I think I overtimed the caps. I didn't tighten them as much this time.