Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing U-joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I had my truck safety inspected and was told one of my front u-joints was close to seizing. Should I replace both of em now or just the one that is bad?
    Thnx Max

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Close to seizing? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sounds like someone is trying to scare up some business to me. When they get bad, and just before they frag, the little rollers inside the cup turn to dust and they get really sloppy. Check em yourself, hubs unlocked and in neutral with the park brake on. Now grab the U-joint and see if it has any wiggle. The wiggle if it's there will be between the axle yoke and the stub yoke. No wiggle? grease em up and carry on. If you have any wiggle it's time to replace them.

I'd do both at once, and if one is OK keep it as a spare for the trail.

Rene

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

hmm thanks for the heads up Rene, I'll check that today.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree with rene u-joints don't seize /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but ya if one is bad do them both they are easy to do and are cheap so just for Peace of mind do them both /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif