Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing valve cover gasket

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Jul 29, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I got a pretty good leak coming out from under my valve cover, I just bought the gaskets and are going to replace them. Is there anything I should know before i do it. I've never done this but I know it's pretty straight forward. Does anyone have any hints? or suggestions. Thanks

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Dont over tighten the bolts. Drink plenty of fluids, and dont eat yellow snow.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What Mr. Mouse said. The worst thing you can do is overtighten the covers. Basically go as tight as you can with your fingers and then another 1/2 turn with a wrench.

Another important step is to make sure that any leftover RTV or gasket pieces are cleaned off of BOTH surfaces. I take a gasket scraper to the rim on the head and the rim on the cover to make sure there isn't any crud that will cause a bad seal. I also use a rag soaked with BrakeKleen to remove any oil residue from both surfaces as well.

Basically, the better your prep, the longer and better the gasket will work. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif