Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacing Vent Window?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, Oct 4, 2000.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

it's wedged in there fine right now, but i want to replace it soon. it's on the driver's side and it broke off from where it pivots at the bottom. has anyone ever replaced this thing? what all will i need? i know i can get one cheap either through this site or from a yard. just wondering!
    thanks.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I just pulled one out of a parts door, the window and regulator need to come out of the door, then the window frame needs to come out as well as all of the window molding. After al of this is out and the wing window is unbolted don't bend the frame under the wing it'll come out after fighting and angling it for about 5-10 minutes. I am not looking foreward to putting it in my door. I used sockets, screwdrivers, and pliers to do the work.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Been over a year since I pulled one appart but here is what I remember. Lower the window and pull door pannel, pull inner plastic. Pull the weatherstrip that goes on the outside of the big window. Now the other guy said you would have to pull the window but there is a slim chance you might not. The vent wing assembly is the foward guide for the window. There is 1 or 2 philips head screws that hold the wing to the upper section of the door frame that you can get at with the door open. Right below the pivot is a hole that has a screw also as I recall. then there is 2 bolts that the lower track section is held in with through the inside of the door. Rock the vent wing back (this is the part where the clearence issue comes in with the big window. If not enough room try unbolting the other track and shift the window back but be carefull about it dropping off the track and breaking. Hopefully it should clear the window frame pulling it in towards the interior side and pull up. You will have to rotate the assembly 90 deg to get the lower brackets through the opening. If there is still interference with the window that unbolt the innder horizontal track with the window about half way up and you should be able to slide it around to get it off the regulator and remove it.
    There is a metal strap that holds the outer and inner door together to make a tight seal that often fails. It was broke on both my door and I managed to weld it back. It makes the door more solid feeling and worth taking the time to repair if yours is broken.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It's a pain in the arse.
    I replaced both vent windows in my truck.
    Actually, I took all the innards of my 76 doors and put them in a non-rusted set of 81 doors.
    Took half a friggin' day.
    But it came out nice.
    I have NO idea how to do it without scratching the tint up. I had some nice tine on both the window glass and vent window and managed to scratch it all up. I don;t think I could have donw any better because it's a very tight fit.

Ok, worst part was hanging the doors on my truck without any help. Wife was pregnant at the time and couldn't help me, and i needed the truck back together for work the next day. I was so sore.. :)
    -- Mike