Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing vent windows with sealed windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Sep 7, 2004.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of taking out my vent windows on the doors and replacing them with a solid pane of glass so that it no longer rotates in and out. I'm doing this because they both leak pretty bad and more importantly, I never have a need to open them, so might as well permanently seal them. Has anyone ever done this or knows someone who has? About how much did the glass cost and what did you do about fastening it and sealing it? I even thought about getting some Lexan (plexiglass) from Home Depot and cutting out the pattern myself and sticking it in there. Thanks in advance.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

You don't want to just seal them up the way they are? The fastener aspect will be more trouble I think, than just sealing them like they are, and not using them. Anyone who makes an attempt to open them will probably give up once they don't open, if that's what your worried about.

I guess if you used the same sealer that is used for the winshield, it may hold just regular glass there without any "handles", but who knows.

Good luck.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Why oh why would you wanna get rid of the blessed wind wing? I've been lookin for someone who has one out of a door already to replace mine that has the bottom pivot broken so I can't use it.

4. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why oh why would you wanna get rid of the blessed wind wing?

[/ QUOTE ]

-because they are pretty much pointless when you have AC as well as a power rear window with a remote switch in the dash. And I have yet to use them in the 3 years I've had the blazer so might as well seal it up for good so it doesnt leak.

I may just pull out the old rotten seals and reseal it with some silicon.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A lot of people have wanted to do this but due to the curved glass, it would take 10,000 sets before anybody could make any profit on them.

I'd suggest caulking them shut if you don't like them.

I personally like them, other than the air leaks, I think they're the highlights of our trucks.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

not quite 10,000 sets, i think it was like 50 sets to get them to even thing about attempting a set. IIRC, CaptKaos was the one who looked into it.

7. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why oh why would you wanna get rid of the blessed wind wing?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif wing vents are the best thing to be invented since 4wd. i can live without a/c or windows that dont go down, but, i cant live without my wing vents. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Why not just buy new seals for the existing vent windows? The last time I looked @ LMC for seals, they seemed to have fair prices.