Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing vent windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NICE84, Nov 23, 2001.

1. NICE84

NICE84 Newbie

Who really knows if Chevrolet sales the entire assembly to replace the noisy vent windows. I bought an aftermarket rubber, but it was very difficult to install and didn't stop the noise. I spoke to a Dealer and looked at the parts list but it's a little confusing.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Don't know about Chevy, but LMC does.

BTW, I stopped the whistling in my other truck vent windows by epoxying a small metal plate (like a slug) between the vent window handle and the vent frame, so it applied extra pressure against the window. Stopped the whistling almost completely.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Jamming a penny or nickle in between the handle and vent window frame makes it close tighter and works well too...

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I use nickels on mine also.....that assembly is like $135 each, and ya can't get the felt channel strip just by itself as far as I know....I've replaced all the rubber and felt in my truck windows except for the vents.....wonderin' if there's a way to replace the lever/knob/doodad in such a way to tighten things up.....I could really use those nickels what with the Holidays comin' and all.......

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

5. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know how hard it is to actually replace the vent window assembly? Mine is broken at the pivot point, the window is just kinda squeezed in there, and I have had it siliconed shut for some time now. But I would love to be able to use that thing. Has anyone done this? I am resigned to buying a new one from LMC, but is it a total PITA or what?

Thanks,

Keith

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've had my doors apart a couple of times messin' with the electric windows and such......yes, it's a PITA....plan for an entire afternoon, and expect things to not go smoothly.....lotsa patience, don't get in a hurry, keep the manual handy, and RTFD...(Read The...uh....Directions)......once you've done one side, the other side is much easier, especially if you don't have power windows......when I had mine apart to do the new motors, I cleaned and greased everything and put in Dynamat for sound insulation.....made a difference, so I did the whole truck for about $200 give or take a six pack.......JD

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Brandy, MudNurl did it not long ago because I gave her a spare frame I had laying around to do it....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

For an 84 I do belive thet are discontinued. The doors are
    the same up to 91. I dont remember but I think only one side
    is avalable as an assy for 91. I work tomarrow so I can fax ill. and so forth. e-m me for phone # if you like...-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I think you can still get the vent glass frame and I know you
    can get the weatherstrips. It is a pain but when it's done
    it's a world of difference with out all the wind noise. I rebuilt
    the vent glass assembly on 77 p/u I had. Put all new w/strips
    and new door hinge bushings. Adjust the door to the body
    &amp; get the aux. w/strip on the top of the door. If your good it
    take ALL the wind-noise and door rattles out.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

10. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

I picked up the whole assy. from a yard for about $25 (and they took it out of the donor truck). It is a pain getting it out. I had to take off the door panel, outside mirror mount cover, and a few bolts scattered around the inner door skin. It's a tight fit sliding the frame in and out, but it goes in a lot easier than it comes out. Took me about an hour and a half.

My K5 Buildup: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep>http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep</a>

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Frame Ass '78- '89 (R) # 20307716
    (L) # 20307715
    '90- '91 (R) #15634474
    (L) #15364473

Weathersstrip, Vent '78- '80 (R) # 6271904
    (L) # 6271903
    '81- '91 (R) # 20354946
    (L) # 20354945

Handle Kits '78- '79 (R) # 470156
    (L) # 470155
    '81- '91 (R) # 15617126
    (L) # 15617125

These are out the the Mitchell "Collision Estimating Guide"

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

12. B75k5

B75k5 Registered Member

Yes, still avail from GM, I purchased new ones for my 75 K5. You will also need to purchase the locking/unlocking latches.
    Not hard to replace window vents, just make sure to put the latches on correctly......the first one.... I didn't ....and had to cut it off....so double check before you install latches.

13. NICE84

NICE84 Newbie

Jim, you know how to do the job the right way. I can appreciate that and I sure appreciate your help. I've spent allot of time working on a smooth ride with different tires, new wheels and "indexing" one to the other. And this is about all I have left for complete restoration.

Thanks, Troy

NEVER TOO FAST!

14. NICE84

NICE84 Newbie

Were your windows slow or were the motors completely bad. I think maybe my ground connection may be causing mine to be slow, but the motors may just be getting worn. As for the vent windows, I had one side out last week to only replace the rubber with an aftermarket piece. Before I spend that much time and trouble again, I'll have the complete Genuine Chevrolet part in my hands! It's not worth the few dollars saved for that much effort spent.

NEVER TOO FAST!

15. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I did, and it wasn't that bad- BUT then again, I didn't have anything else in/on my doors- You have to take out the main glass- which was a pain- but once the main glass is out, be ready for tuggin, your gonna think you will snap the frame, but it wont, make sure you remove all of the screws on the door frame- there is one at the top, that you WILL forget, ( I did with BOTH windows) coming out is the easier part, it's putting back in that sucks- You would be better of to have a girl help you, only because our hands are smaller, and can fit inside the door, to help line everything up. John's hands couldnt fit in if they had to. The manual is basically useless, it tells you what you already know. Once the glass/screws are out. You need to pivot the window frame, so its turned a full 180'. then slide the top part out, to do so you need to push down on it, and press like a son of a gun to the inside of the door, so it snaps out. I found it was MUCH easier to take the entire piece of main glass OUT of the door, don't just pop it off track. I replaced the innerds of my window while I was at it. that weird track thing it runs on. a lot smoother. JC Whitney sells a good quality frame-...but if there loose, and leak, its not really the frame, its all the rubber. The rubber between the frame and the door is easy to replace, but more than likely its the rubber between the glass and the frame. which I will add SUCKED to replace! Now that they are all done, would I do it again- YUPPERS in a heartbeat. the new doors looked like crap with the old windows, but these, (Steph's was in better shape than my old ones) i tool some steel wool, fixed them up, and added some black paint to them, they look like new. good luck if this confuses you sorry- just trying to explain how it went.

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My windows were slow, and the passenger side wouldn't even go down all the way....I replaced both motors and cleaned everything up with steel wool before lubing....the pass side is still slow, so I may have a bad ground on that side.....I'll tear into it again this winter when I redo the tailgate which is also slow....I agree that it helps to have your lady help...ya just add in the cost of a new manicure to yer parts list.....Oh Yeah, cost me dinner and a movie, too.....And I had to do several things on her list....Hell, maybe I shoulda rented the neighbor kid...woulda been cheaper....

17. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

everything is ahrp and chews the skin off your hands doing that job