Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

replacing wheel bearings...is there a more detailed how to?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77Jimmy, Jul 17, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm about to undertake a front wheel bearing replacement (assuming their toast) for the first time. Need to make sure everything is solid and straight before I put on my new meats and wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Chiltons and Haynes don't have enough detail for me, so I bid and won a service manual on ebay which hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping this has a lot of detail w/ pics...my question is does it? And if it doesn't, where can I find something that does? Sorry for being an idiot guys and dolls, I'm at the bottom of the learning curve. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Im not sure where to get you any info But it really is pretty easy. Ill recoment AUTOZONE strongly for the bearins TIMKEN is good stuff(napa's expensive ones are pretty nice too) One of the bearings should come with the race Ill also recoment getting the other race and ofcourse the seals

3. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I know this isn't exactly what you need, but there are some pics and some steps that you will need to follow to tear it down.
    http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml

As for better instruction, I found the haynes to have all the info you need. If you've replaced the auto hubs, the hardest part of the whole job will be getting the outer lock ring off. Between mine, and 3 or 4 of my buddy's that have k5's, I've repacked the bearings a 4 or 5 times now and that damn ring that comes with the Warn Premuims still gets me.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Bend the ends of the rings slightly on the Warn premiums. Mine pop right out with a small screwdriver.

5. gruveb

gruveb Registered Member

Spend an extra $20 for one of those nifty bearing grease devices. You put the bearing in there, and then pump it up with grease. I hate going through 10,000 rags only to have one slip out of my hand and pick up every spec of sand in the zip code.

6. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Recommendations

I admit it...I havent done a wheel bearing replacement on a 4WD vehicle ever in my life. Does anyone have a bearing mfr they recommend? I have looked at pictures of the wheel bearing and they are way different than a car. Thanks in advace for the help....

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Timken, from autozone.

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

9. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just went through this job this week. First, the bad news; I have a factory manual and it was not anymore detailed the my chilton's. Now the good news; it really isn't that bad. I am way at the bottom of the learning curve and have a tendency to scare myself into not getting the job all the way done before chickening out and trying to find someone else to help who knows what the hell the are doing (thanks Craig!!)

Follow the directions in the book and lay it out in the order it came out so you know how it goes back. My outer bearings came with bearings and race (thanks again Craig! lol) and the inners I had to buy the bearing and the race seperately. I went with Timken brand. I knocked the races out myself but had them pressed in by a local machine shop.

Just get into it and post up here if you get stuck. Lots of people to help. Drop me a line if you need help from another noob who went through this job. :grin: