Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replaclemenrt headlights

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris_T, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Just installed Bosch housings with an H4 bulb prior to my road trip. What a difference they made! Worth every penny on my '72 and not too pricey (under $100 CDN). Huge improvement over the old lighting. I would consider them a must have now on any vehicle I own with sealed beams

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

have the part #'s and whatnot of the parts you used? it sounds like a good upgrade for the $$.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing quite some time ago. However I put some PIAA platinum bulbs in a bit ago.......HOLY CRAP! Even more of a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

The box is in the garage, I'll pull it out and get you the numbers, it's all one kit, housings and bulbs included.

5. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I got a set of Hella H4's and it made a world of difference. The ironic part is I won them as a door prize at a BMW car show and they fit my truck perfectly even thought they were for a 68-76 Bimmer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Evan

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I've been running the Hellas in my Blazer since I got it 5 years ago. Oh, I'm running the 80/100w bulbs in 'em too. They're pretty good lights (I really wanted the CIBIE Z-beam, but couldn't find any). Summit carries the newer model of the Hella that's US DOT approved.

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

The Bosch part number is 0 301 600 801 000 for the kit. It's called Bosch-Halogen H4-headlamps (or Bosch-Halogen H4-Scheinerfer). It included two housings with rubber boots to seal the bulb and housing from the elements and two H4 bulbs. I was quite impressed with the way the bulbs are sealed to the outside - nice snug fit around the base of the bulb and the housing and it slid into the recess in the headlight mount snugly, pressing the boot against the housing. The instructions are for the SBQ7 & SBQ200 housings (I think these are the SBQ7). I don't know if you can buy the housings alone and install bulbs of your choice or not, but you could search with some of those numbers. My total cost was $90 CDN for the housings and bulbs.

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

sweet... Thanks for the info! Hopefully this time next week I will be able to see the road in front of me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Steve_Chin

I've never seen the housings available separately (without bulbs). I have a bunch of 55w/60w bulbs laying around because of that.

10. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

What kind of bulbs give off the soft blue light. I like these because they seem to light up the road without blinding oncoming traffic.

11. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I was hoping one you might be able to tell where a good place would be to purchase these. Or is a basic autozone or napa going to be able to provide it.

12. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I got mine at Canadian Tire - the price was as good as anywhere. You could probably find/order them from a decent parts store

13. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

i put h4 concersions in with APC superwhite headlights. the lights are really blue. bu they put out alot more light then before. the whole job cost about 75 bucks.got all parts at local NAPA.

14. Steve_Chin

Don't get any of those bulbs that throw a lot of blue light. They throw a lot of UV as well as the rest of the spectrum. Use only the Hella UV-free bulbs. They shoot a more true, whiter beam without the UV garbage that will eventually damage your eyes.

15. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Would the 80/100W bulbs end up being obnoxiously bright ona lifted 4x4? I was surprised that I onlyhad a couple people flashing their lights, thinking my brights were on at me, mostly coming over rises. After seeing what a differnce these bulbs make, I'd be curious to see how much better they can get, but don't want to give anyone driving toward me a blinding headache.

C

16. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Canadian Tire??? I never heard of a place like that... That a chain or just something local??? Mt truck HAS Canadian made tires on it. President "Sport King"

17. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

LOL .. yeah, that's a chain. Auto/Garden/Hardware kind of store. I wouldn't let them work on my truck, but they sure are handy when you need a part fast. My point was that you can probably find/order them at most places.

18. Steve_Chin

Depends on the headlight pattern and how you have the lights aimed. My buddy's Blazer has 4"/6" lift and 33s, and his 80/100W bulbs aren't too terribly bad unless the truck bobs up in front or down in back.

19. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

Sorry for jumping into the thread so late. I am wondering if you guys are speaking about true headlight replacements that install in the factory headlight location or if you are talking about driving lights.

I am hoping you are talking about the former as the factory candlepower output on my stock 72 Jimmy is terrible and this is further compounded by the lift and tires. However, high-beams work great but not optimal considering on-coming traffic.

Thanks,
    Scott

20. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

We are talking about true replacement lights that fit in the factory headlight location