Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacment fuel tanks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DukeBoy88, Feb 14, 2003.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

My fuel tanks baffle is broken and unattached. So I was looking for a new replacement. In JC whitney I found 22gauge steel replacment 31gallon for $140. 22gauge sounds thin to me. polyethelene 31 gallon for $200 (I think I found the company that makes them, MTS, but there site didn't list prices). and a 16gauge 43gal tank that sells for $469 in JC whitney but I think is the same tank as Northwest Metal Products tank that sells for $410 on there site. Does anyone know of any other fuel tank vendors on the net? I've been searching google for a while. Has anyone used any of these products? thanks in advance.

2. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't used them myself, but a friend replaced the tank in his 87K5, and I saw it before he put it in. Seemed pretty strong to me. And he got it from JC Whittney. I thought it was ok, and have been considering ordering a 31 gallon to replace my 25. Hope this helps.

3. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Check out Rockauto.com. They have replacement tanks. Got one last year for 107.00 + shipping

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure you get (and they list) an '87-91 tank, since you won't get baffles if its pre-'87.

5. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

do those work for the 79's? ive been wanting to get a bigger tank.... but havent quite found one ive liked... the polyeurethane one sounds like a good idea, but id like more info on em.... any insight?

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of getting the 41gallon replacement tank for long highway trips anybody know if it will fit with the stock skid plate?

7. dyeager535

I don't *think* you could fit a 41 gallon tank in there.

If you used one with "narrower" seams, you might be able to get more gas in there, but I don't believe with a 31 gallon tank there is any more than 1/2" clearance between the tank bottom and plate, and probably less than 1" front/rear clearance as well. Pretty close to the framerails as well, but again, I think a lot of that is the seams that stick out a bit.

8. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i think the 41gal tank goes inside the framerails im not sure they sell it in jcwhitney

9. dyeager535

It would have to go inside the framerails, I can't imagine getting a 41 gallon tank to fit safely anywhere else. All I was saying is that to get that large of a tank in, you have to change the dimensions, and with a stock skidplate, length or depth isn't something you can change. Width maybe, but more likely, it has to be deeper.

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can get the 41 gallon tank in there, but the stock skid plate just isn't going to fit over it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That size tank may also interfere with the trailer hitch. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I put a 45 gallon aftermarket tank into a '72 Blazer once. That tank used EVERY square inch of space available under the rig!