Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Replacment Stock Leaf Springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Thinking of doing a little suspension work. Looking to improve overall ride quality and quite things up a bit. Suspesion is really ratteling over bumps and holes.

Where is the best place to get replacement springs? I have no lift. Anyone purchased them from LMC? Any suggestions or installation tips greatly appreciated.

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

3. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Any idea what is causing all the ratteling? Do the bushings go bad?

86 K5 Blazer

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Yes, all bushings do wear out. If you suspect the bushings, look inside the eyelet of the leaf spring, where the bushing is, and you can probably see where the rubber is deteriorating. As far as the ratteling is concerned, you just need to look around at stuff, I have a hanger that is broken and the exhaust makes this ratteling sound going around corners. I would look around at all of the bushings, shocks, sway bar, etc. - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Just looked and found a broken leaf spring in the rear. Should this be replaced imediately?

86 K5 Blazer

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Yep. Would not drive it until you get it replaced. If you have to, don't take it to highway speeds. Depending on which one is broken, it weakens the whole spring pack. If the one breaks that holds the springs to the shackles, then the whole vehicle can settle to one side abruptly and cause damge to the rear end, sheet metal possibly and cause you to swerve or loose control of the vehicle. I would replace all the bushing with urethane ones. Will make it 200% better. May want to look at aftermarket with a mild lift unless you want to stay stock. Pro Comp makes a 2.5 in spring for the front that are tougher than the stock springs. I know Superlift makes rear springs, not sure of the sizes though.

7. Eric

Eric Registered Member

How do the poly bushings help? Will the rig handle better? I assume that they do last much longer.

86 K5 Blazer